Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made ya look didnt i....

Actually i went to Cobbs marina yesterday 11-24,And took a look under the peir below the fish cleaning station.I saw the most horrifying sight ive ever seen..There must have been 200 striper carcasses on the bottom.Its only about 7 feet deep there and the water was very clear. There were striped bass and a few flounder carcasses there as well as one nice tuna carcass.I refuse to believe that there anrnt any fish biting after seeing this...

Consider this Cobbs marina's fish cleaning station isnt used much by the everyday angler.Its used by locals that only use that launch or live there.And thats usually a weekend trip when you have time to clean the catch and not bring it home whole to show it off for pictures.So im assuming that maybe 45 percent of ramp users use the fish cleaning station.So there are many fish out there to be caught were just not getting there at the right time,or not trying hard enough finding it easier and easier to go home skunked.Fishing less time and with less lure changes,Due to cold temps or sheer boredome.I find myself doing this but visiting that fish grave site im renewed with the fact that there are fish that im not trying hard enough for .. Im going fishing tomorrow or thursday and i am going to catch a fish if i have to throw the cast net and hook his ass..{j/k}

Anyway the fish are there we need to regain our optamism.

Fishing its better then sex.... sometimes.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i'm proud to say that a few of those carcases are mine. The critters are out there and starting to pick up with a vengance. to 40 "

·
Registered
634 Posts
yup i got a few of those carcasses down there too...we launched out of there a couple of weeks ago , i walked down to the cleaning station and took a look in the water...i was shocked too lol..some big stripers down there.

the fish are here..you just need to get on a boat to get to them..headboat or private or charter...this saturday i spent about $30 in bait,gas and pier fees and came home skunked...i should have just went on a headboat or pay someone to go out lol...until i see alot of posts or hear of fish being caught from shore..i'm boatin it till the croaker and spot come back:)

kapoc..when you taking me out to the 4th island in that new 23fter? lol

·
Registered
472 Posts
Kajun said:

the fish are here..you just need to get on a boat to get to them.
Sadly, this is too often the case

When I lived on Martha's Vineyard, I spent many frustrating days, on the beach, getting skunked, while boats on the "rips" about 500 yards out, were constantly into fish.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A boat is not always necessary to catch nice fish. I was wade fishing "somewhere in Portsmouth" around midnight on Wed. evening and hooked a nice one. I normally catch schoolie-sized stripers on topwater at my spot so I was using a trout rod. After about an hour with 1 small fish landed and a handful of missed strikes my mind began to wander until a big fish unloaded on my plug, nearly scaring me out of my waders in the process. After a few minutes I got him in, 38"x25lbs. There are some big fish in the Eliz. R. if you know where to look.

·
Registered
634 Posts
your right....but since striper season started it has been the only way to put filets in the freezer ....but it looks like the last few days they starting to get closer to shore..maybe my faith will be restored soon :) .....welcome to the board hattera...keep us posted on your "spot".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts