Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the above thread and I got 2 questions... Where or what is PLO Point lighthouse something? And what in the world is a "baseball"? Is it a weight? (sinker)? If so how heavy are they? I doubt if I could sling one anyway but.... And I saw mentioned also in the other thread,,, quote "I could whoop ya W/ one hand tied behind my back""" Hmm I don't recall right off hand whom said it but I'd be willing to take'em on that offer,, LMAO kinda level's a playing field for me LOL just kidding there... Sounds like it's gonna be interesting...
Dave,,,,,,
But ya'll have fun LOL....:D

·
Registered
680 Posts
lead. a baseball is a baseball. i don't know whose original idea it was, but it works[for me] anyhow.

drill a hole thru the center of the ball.

tie a treble hook on 80-100# leader and thread it thru the ball. pull up and drive hook into ball.

tie a barrel swivel on the loose end.

it is then ready to cast. it is used to cast within place of a 150gram weight. when casting where someone may wander in your area, they won't get hurt if hit.

the ball weighs approx. 150gram,as does the casting weight.

it is for safely practising. 2002 james williams and neil mac kellow gave a casting demo at camden yards before an orioles game.

·
Registered
681 Posts
PLO

PLO = Point Look Out State Park.
Is park that is in southern Md. It extends into the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I get the idea...

using a baseball for a weight,, I mean what's the advantage to using one???? Seems to me lead would be better.. And if a baseball is used and ya can get better results (farther casting), would it be too my advantage, (being like I am ), too try using something like a golfball? Could would I get bout the same results? Besides, wouldn't a baseball roll around in the surf alot??? But anyway,, I can cast quite a distance FYI, ased to sling those anchor weights W/ the prongs in'em when King fishing off the pier which were about 6 to 8 oz's... No problem there but looking to refine "my" style in casting further farter or whatever helps in getting over a farout bar..... oh well comeon Sunday, (I got to clean house before I can go fishing tomorrow) arrgh!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Baseball's are good for a few reasons:

- weighs about the same as a 5 oz sinker
- easy to see it in flight so you have a good idea of where your casts are going
- hopefully won't kill someone if you get a break-off
- won't dig into the dirt the way a lead weight does so easy to retrieve (without having to walk all the way out to go get it since it's two feet underground)

(You wouldn't cast these out into the water, just on a practice field, say, like a football field. Then you can measure your distance and see whether you're going straight, and figure out how to improve).

Golf balls came up in another post, but someone said they don't weight enough to be useful. Baseballs do lose a bit of distance to wind resistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts