Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Audubon and Friends of Wildlife don't care how many people they piss off. It's never been about anything other than domination of the land.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I tend do disagree. It is more to conserve the land so there is space for the animals we enjoy catching, have a place to reproduce so we can catch more. Every fish and bird rely on each other some way in the food chain. With out one, the other will be gone as well.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Food Chain

I tend do disagree. It is more to conserve the land so there is space for the animals we enjoy catching, have a place to reproduce so we can catch more. Every fish and bird rely on each other some way in the food chain. With out one, the other will be gone as well.
What, and you think we have to shut down the beaches so the cycle of life can continue? That's a bit far out! I've got bluebirds 30ft off my back deck presently working on their THIRD clutch of eggs. I've got a Phoebe nesting on the ledge above my front door, I've got Robins in a Cedar tree at one corner of my house and Purple Finches at another corner.

AND EVERYONE IS GETTING ALONG JUST FINE!

And Oyster Catchers, Black Skimmers, Terns and Piping Plovers need 1.25 MILES! I don't think so.

It is very clear to me that Audubon, Defenders of Wildlife and the SELC are very much against human access to the beaches. (Except for their own access, of course!)

No, the cycle of life will get along just fine without the extensive beach closings we've seen this year. The proof of that statement is in the increased production of birds we saw this year with the beaches being closed. Yeah, that's right, what increase?

ORV's on the beach have very little impact on a beach environment. Do they have an impact.....sure they do! They have about as much impact on the beach as you're having right now sitting in front of your computer. You're taking up space that could be used by flies, ants, spiders, airborne bacteria, etc. You're using up oxygen and expelling carbon dioxide. The home you're sitting in is taking up valuable space that could be used by many different wildlife species for nesting, resting or escape cover.

Bottom line is that the human species has an impact on the earth. That being said, we also have a responsibility to protect the environment. But never forget that we are part of the system, too. We are a part of the circle of life just like the turtles, the Oyster Catchers and the Robins in my back yard.

Let's face it, we are here and the human species does have an impact on the earth. But unlike others, I for one refuse to apologize for my existence!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
NC Worm

Do a little research before you make stupid response.
A good place to start is here, reddrumtackle.com, and fishmilitia.com.
Get educated before you respond.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Do a little research before you make stupid response.
A good place to start is here, reddrumtackle.com, and fishmilitia.com.
Get educated before you respond.

Don't be so harsh - he's either a brainwashed Enviro-whacko who believes the DOW/AS's propaganda they feed him or he just isn't up to speed on some of the tactics they've employed. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and give him the chance to research some information about what REALLY is going on down on the OBX.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Start your research with the old testament, man was put on earth to enjoy the fish and birds.................as dinner :p

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Ditto to the above,,,and to prove we can co-exist with Oyster Catchers, Sea Turtles, etc and drive ORV on the beach, let em check out Ft Fisher south of Wilmington.

I was there this past weekend and saw several Oyster Catchers and at least a dozen turtle nests with wire cages around them and no one was bothering them. :)

As a matter of fact, I am looking forward to Sept when the Monarch Butterfly migration begins. They always visit Ft Fisher and it is amazing to see these delicate creatures fly in from the ocean make a stop over on their way to S. America.:cool:

·
Registered
121 Posts
HAHA,
You guys are a riot. I will say up front that I dont know all that is going in in the obx and have been researching. But what I said before, many of the the people trying to preserve some of the land are fisherman as well.I personally know many outdoorsman trying to save land so we can all enjoy the bounty. I know this is a very touchy subject and may be getting no where with some. I was just stating my opinion as well and not trying to start a name-calling war. As far as the comment with the backyard birds, that was just silly. As an avid fisherman you know that certain species of fish need different habitats. Comparing a coastal animal to an inland animal isn't justifiable.
Like I said before, I am not trying to pick fights. Just a different point of view I guess. I'm sure I will hear more.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
With an opinion like that, posted on a FISHING board, yes you will hear a LOT more, hope you're ready..................:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Ease up there Norm, we 'heard' you the first time.......................:D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey Norm

I see you're a newbie here, welcome to the board.

The popcorn is free, ya gotta' bring your own beer though.

Got a question for ya, if all DOW and Audubon want is to protect the birds, why won't they work with us? Why do they have to tell lies and depict us as a bunch of crazy rednecks driving BigFoot through the dunes while swilling whiskey and trying to decide if we should run over a bird nest of those cute little tourist children down by the water? Do some research and get back to us when ya got the answer.

We'll still be here :popcorn: and :beer:.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
welcome aboard. I have to agree with the majority here, need to look at all the facts before forming an opinion. I for one believe that the beaches should be left as GOD intended them we have coexisted with the birds,turtles,ect... for hundreds of years why should they change it now!!!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
welcome aboard. I have to agree with the majority here, need to look at all the facts before forming an opinion. I for one believe that the beaches should be left as GOD intended them we have coexisted with the birds,turtles,ect... for hundreds of years why should they change it now!!!!
Well said.. There are just some people who like to start B.S. and just need to be ignored..And Nc-norm-wb there is no need to get everyone heated over such a sore subject with your double posting negativity.. Maybe this is not the board for you.. Just my 2centz..;)

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Welcome aboard, NC-Norm-WB. You have to understand that tempers run a little high around this issue.

Believe it or not, we're not a bunch of bird-stomping dimwits. Some of us, myself included, think that endangered or threatened species have a right to use the beaches for nesting as they have for thousands of years. But I also believe that can be achieved with smart management strategies that don't ban humans from using the same territory.

On many beaches, fishermen are actually treated as partners by wildlife agencies. They keep an eye out for flipper tracks and immediately report turtle nests to the authorities for safe relocation. What the DNR gets back is an army of people looking out for endangered species, which get every opportunity to go on to replenish their kind. Ditto for the birds. I've dealt with sensible, limited closures up in my neck of the woods for years.

But the situation as it exists now has gone too far, and it's caused both sides to radicalize. I'm afraid that there's no nuance left in this debate. You're either a bunny-hugging ecoterrorist or a dimwitted hillbilly who thinks we should pave the planet.

If you try to take a middle road that preserves access and animals, both sides hate you.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Welcome aboard, NC-Norm-WB. You have to understand that tempers run a little high around this issue.

Believe it or not, we're not a bunch of bird-stomping dimwits. Some of us, myself included, think that endangered or threatened species have a right to use the beaches for nesting as they have for thousands of years. But I also believe that can be achieved with smart management strategies that don't ban humans from using the same territory.

On many beaches, fishermen are actually treated as partners by wildlife agencies. They keep an eye out for flipper tracks and immediately report turtle nests to the authorities for safe relocation. What the DNR gets back is an army of people looking out for endangered species, which get every opportunity to go on to replenish their kind. Ditto for the birds. I've dealt with sensible, limited closures up in my neck of the woods for years.

But the situation as it exists now has gone too far, and it's caused both sides to radicalize. I'm afraid that there's no nuance left in this debate. You're either a bunny-hugging ecoterrorist or a dimwitted hillbilly who thinks we should pave the planet.

If you try to take a middle road that preserves access and animals, both sides hate you.
My point exactly when I talk about Ft Fisher. It is a well managed and well conceived plan that everyone abides by.

No night fishing during the spring and summer.

We pay a $40 yearly fee to drive on the beach.

There are Oyster Catchers and turtles. It is patrolled by both the NC State Park Ranges as well as the NC Marine Rangers.

It can work but it takes both sides to work together.:)

·
Registered
348 Posts
HAHA,
. As far as the comment with the backyard birds, that was just silly. As an avid fisherman you know that certain species of fish need different habitats. Comparing a coastal animal to an inland animal isn't justifiable.

You think birds in my back yard are silly? I think not! What is silly is a 1,000 meter, (that's right, three zeros), radius buffer around shorebirds! That's RADIUS my friend! Do the math and that comes out to just over a mile and a quarter for a bird. Now THAT'S silly!

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Fireline20, I like most of that plan except for the blanket ban on night fishing, which I assume is in place for the turtles.

There's a way to manage a beach without tossing everybody off of it. Keep everyone driving high on the beach (away from where the loggerheads come in) and keep a 5 or 10 MPH speed limit after dark during the SHORT turtle nesting season (June/July) and both humans and turtles are fine. Lots of places do it successfully.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
You think birds in my back yard are silly? I think not! What is silly is a 1,000 meter, (that's right, three zeros), radius buffer around shorebirds! That's RADIUS my friend! Do the math and that comes out to just over a mile and a quarter for a bird. Now THAT'S silly!
So I started doing some googling on scientific studies of the habits of plovers after they hatch. Turns out they wander like crazy. Damn. They do need a lot of habitat.

But on Audubon's own site, there's a solution that could work for everyone: In a fenced-in colony, the young will wander about, but are restricted to the colony until they are able to fly over the fence. Low, fine meshed “chick fencing” keeps the chicks and pre-fledglings from wandering out where they could easily be stepped on or predated. These fences provide some protection from terrestrial predators and humans, but not from avian predators.

Just like with the turtles, there's a way to make this work for the animals and the people. But check out the guidelines the FWS has to deal with.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts