Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm serious, I don't eat fish. And yea I'll have a bite every now and then, and it's ok. I love Clams, Oysters, crabs, shrimp...just not fish. It's all because when I was a kid, I about choked out on a floating bone in a flounder fillet. :--|

Are there any other fish addicts that just don't eat what they catch? BTW, all the fish I keep are donated to one cause or another.

Just thought I'd throw that out as when I say that to people. they look at me like I've got three heads..:D

Skunk

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I usually play the catch and release game unless I have someone that definitely wants some fish. Don't get me wrong, I like fish, I just usually don't feel like cleaning them. I'll usually keep some tuna and dolphin meat, but I don't keep most of the fish I catch. It doesn't bother me at all to throw them back for another day.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I do not eat many of the fish I catch. Most are given away to friends and neighbors. The only things that we eat that I catch really are striper, and flounder when I can actually a flounder that can be kept. Will probably eat any sea bass, or tautog that I get this saturday though.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I release most of my fish or give them away. I've kept almost nothing in the past year except what I've given to the neighbors or the people who have been nice enough to take me out on their boat.

However, I am a glutton for shellfish.:beer:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
If you lived in Florida, you'd probably eat more fish. There's just too many tasty things that swim around down here to pass up.

I'm not even going to get into the lobster, crabs, shrimp, scallops, etc. you seem to prefer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I thought i was alone on this line of thought. I catch fish to have a good time, not to put food on the table. I sure do get some strange looks when I release a 40" redfish. The only exception is once a year I'll keep a shark.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
There's a couple of fish that have a 100% mortality rate (unless regulations say otherwise) if I catch them. Those are wahoo, tuna and grouper.

Most of the time I release or share partly because I'm too lazy to clean them and number two, the girlfriend doesn't eat fish.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I fish constantly in both fresh and salt and never keep anything. I love to eat fish and other than canadaian walleye or a few brook trout on primitive campng trips, I would rather go to the fish market. I almost got tosssed off a few piers for throwing whiting backover the rail.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I release the majority of fish I catch as well, however... I am Korean so I would be lying to say I don't like fish!

·
Registered
964 Posts
I am a play by ear keeper. I am not a huge fish fan to begin with (other than maybe FRESH salmon) but I will keep the occasional fish depending on my intent. What I mean is that if I am fishing for keeper stripers and I am lucky enough to land one - I am keeping it and having some family over for a nice dinner. If I am just "seeing what's biting" and action is hot, I might keep a few here and there.

I am also kind of lazy so sometimes I donate rather than keep. Example - I ALWAYS seem to land one keeper flounder when I hit Assateague/Chicoteague. It's like a running joke at this point. I am not actively fishing for them - they just grab my bait. Being a good eating fish, it goes on the ice. However, each time, I've usually walked away relatively empty handed outside of that nice flounder.

Being that my wife doesn't eat fish and it's not a big enough fish to feed myself, my brother and his wife well, I usually offer it to my neighbor who LOVES fish. They've eaten well on me a few times. Had I caught two flounders (or more of another "eating" fish), I would have put them on my dinner table. But one fish wasn't cutting it. So, I made a friend (and his wife) very happy.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I used to be the same as Clay and Emanuel, but it was mainly because I sucked at cleaning fish. I've gotten better so I've started to keep more, but only what I know I will eat. I'm not one to stock a freezer full of filets because I know how my family eats and they'll sit there forever. That and I like it fresh, many times from the cutting board to the grease. Much better that way.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Kings, medium blues and flounder (only 1 or 2 each a year) come home to the table.

Other than that, I don't keep much. I like shrimp, but not oysters, lobster or crab.

Now deer are another story, and I might keep more fish if I didn't have 165# of deer meat in my chest freezer.

Evan

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Omniverous. If bunker tasted good i'd try to eat it. Plus I like the carcasses for the compost heap of fish that have been cleaned. However Charlotte has learned not to keep every sunfish she catches. House rule is you catch it and keep it, you clean it. We're just getting to the doggies, skate and blues caught in the spring.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.