Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spinning reels usually aren't used for the fighting rod but the line capacity is about right. Make sure you have a stout rod too.
yeah. I'm going on a little vacation and it's all I've got right now. I know it's not optimal, that's for darn sure. I just hope it will do the job for a few days if I get into something.

And my rod is a cheapo. Wal mart special 7 footer, 15-30 lb line capacity.

I've got a 10 foot surf casting ugly stick that I've been using as an anchor rod. Should I switch these two out ya think? Thanks man.

I've only got a few more days out here and as much I'd love to upgrade, I just can't justify dropping a couple hundred when I've got a few more days out here and then I'm landlocked for college.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Maybe its the fact that i love the feeling of being pinned to a rail tired and anxius of seeing whats on the other side of the line or maybe its the fact that ive never caught a king but one way or the other i were you i would go for it, im guessing your talking about the medalist and thats one great reel and more than enough but i do recomend that you have a sturdy rod as smooth said as you will need to pin down your drag far in there.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
From what I've heard it's the drag system in a spinning reel that poses the problem with big kings. If a big king can make the drag on a conventional smoke, I can't imagine what it would do to a spinning reel. My old man told me a story about running across a big school of relatively small kings on his boat in Oregon Inlet. It was the one day they just decided to leave the 4/0 and 6/0 senators behind and play around in the inlet. They were using the old penn spinning reels, you know, the all metal jobs. Every time they would pull a smaller fish up, a king would grab it and take off!!! The biggest problem they had though was the kings skying out of the water and spinning like they do, cutting off the line. They got one to the boat, and had to chase him down, lol... That being said, I don't have any personal experience with them on a spinning outfit. I'd imagine as long as you had plenty of line and, of course, used wire leader, you could do ok. I don't know if I'd use braid though. A buddy of mine used to troll stretch 25s for big stripers out of rudee inlet using 50 lb braid on a Penn cs104 spinning reel. Now, a big striper can't fight 1/10 as hard as a big king, and after just a couple of trips catching a bunch of striper, the braid had eaten almost clear through the roller on the bail!! Good luck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe its the fact that i love the feeling of being pinned to a rail tired and anxius of seeing whats on the other side of the line or maybe its the fact that ive never caught a king but one way or the other i were you i would go for it, im guessing your talking about the medalist and thats one great reel and more than enough but i do recomend that you have a sturdy rod as smooth said as you will need to pin down your drag far in there.
From what I've heard it's the drag system in a spinning reel that poses the problem with big kings. If a big king can make the drag on a conventional smoke, I can't imagine what it would do to a spinning reel. My old man told me a story about running across a big school of relatively small kings on his boat in Oregon Inlet. It was the one day they just decided to leave the 4/0 and 6/0 senators behind and play around in the inlet. They were using the old penn spinning reels, you know, the all metal jobs. Every time they would pull a smaller fish up, a king would grab it and take off!!! The biggest problem they had though was the kings skying out of the water and spinning like they do, cutting off the line. They got one to the boat, and had to chase him down, lol... That being said, I don't have any personal experience with them on a spinning outfit. I'd imagine as long as you had plenty of line and, of course, used wire leader, you could do ok. I don't know if I'd use braid though. A buddy of mine used to troll stretch 25s for big stripers out of rudee inlet using 50 lb braid on a Penn cs104 spinning reel. Now, a big striper can't fight 1/10 as hard as a big king, and after just a couple of trips catching a bunch of striper, the braid had eaten almost clear through the roller on the bail!! Good luck.
great info guys! Anyone know why the dude above recommended 20?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
capacity. and you dont need anywhere near that much pressure. your hooks or the kings mouth will tear.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Down in Islamorada, in the Keys, several years ago, in the winter, I saw an older Penn literally explode, during the run of a monster King. We were using cigar minnows live lining, and this fish just would not stop. Holding the rod with 2 hands, so the tip would not go into the water, it seemed an eternity.

The reel literally blew up, the fish was gone, I was sweating like a pig. I wont use spinning again on monster Kings. True Story...

·
Registered
633 Posts
I guess becouse with 20 you wont put as much pressure on the line and will have more cap. but i were you id got with 20 and 50 if your using braid, i was at juno pier today and well there were snook everywhere it was like happy hour every two hours, and well i lost about 7-10 snook from 7-20 lb range, i lost 2 on 20 lb braid and a penn sargus sg6000 reel which is like about almost the same size as your reel and i lost like 7 on 17 lb test mono so go figure!I mean i lost most of the fish becouse what they did was take your bait and go under the pier and your line would pop on the concrete bottom of the pier but still man if you are going to get braid get like 50, youll still hold the same cap, if not stick with 30 lb mono!luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.