Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I've been "on the fence", for a while, about buying a smaller, more economical 4X4 to replace my 1992 5.0L Bronco XLT . . .

I just picked up a CLEAN 2004 Nissan XTERRA SE 3.3L V-6 4X4, with 112,000 miles ( I just got the timing belt changed, 2 days ago ) . . . She's Thermal Red Metallic w/ Gray interior and gets 20 mpg hwy @ 70 mph, compared to the 12 mpg hwy of the Bronco.

Next mods are installing a "LOKKA" in the Front Differential and changing over to Manual Locking Hubs. Then, I'll be installing a larger radiator from the Supercharged XTERRA model, along with a DERALE 13403 (37,000 lb) Transmission cooler & auxiliary fans. The last major mod will be to replace the rear factory LSD with an upgraded "super-packed" unit, to increase the "breakaway-torque" of the differential. It has the Towing pkg. w/ factory 4.90 gears, front & rear.

2004 XTERAA SE -01 - small.jpg

2004 XTERAA SE -04 - small.jpg

2004 XTERAA SE -09 - small.jpg

·
Registered
422 Posts
Your going to love it!! They are hands down best "bang for your buck 4x4" . I have an 08 off road and its 100% stock, and a beast on the beach!! :beer:
Enjoy moose :cool:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Clean ride for sure. They should have named that body style Bronco the Ford Tank! That Nissan will run forever especially since you took care of the belt already.

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How the LOKKA works . . .

This is a Lock-Right unit, but the LOKKA is the same design and functions similarly.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yup.........great trucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
question guys... I have the rear-track Nissan XT, can those guys turn into 4x4 ?... IF yes we are talking on $$$$ big $ ?....

·
Registered
407 Posts
question guys... I have the rear-track Nissan XT, can those guys turn into 4x4 ?... IF yes we are talking on $$$$ big $ ?....

Negative, ghost rider.

The amount of work required to turn a 2x4 truck into a 4x4 truck is overwhelming. It would be much easier to trade in for a 4x4 model. Another member of my nissan offroad club as done it but it is expensive and not for the average mechanic.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The frontier's are really cool trucks, my girlfriend is looking into one...........She finally got rid of the Taco and likes the Nissans..........an updated pic of my Xterra;

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Xterra and the Frontier look great. I had a 95 pathfinder that would not stop. I think I pulled a suburban a few miles down Carolina Beach many many years ago now. How does the truck ride with the rack on the front? I currently have a 15 taco and was wondering if it would put to much weight on the front end considering I have a 6 hour drive to OBX or 4 to Wilmington. Thank you in advance.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts