Pier and Surf Forum banner

I apologize for introducing myself this way but I need help on gear for the outer banks to shark fish with and where to take my son

13K views 93 replies 14 participants last post by  WNCBassGuy 
#1 ·
We will be down the last week of July. The answers I get here will determine where we will stay because it is strictly a shark fishing trip. I am going to buy one rod/rell combo to bring for the trip. I am on Pure Fishing's Pro Staff so I'll have to use a Penn Reel and am open to either spinning or conventional.

If there are castable areas around the inlets or deep beaches I'm thinking about a US Senator 113 and a Tiger 7 foot casting rod.

If we are going to have to sling stuff half a mile I'm thinking about a Penn Spinfisher 7500 or bigger with a Ugly Stick Big Water 11 foot surf rod.

If we are going to have to primarily kayak baits out I'll just get a Penn Senator 114 or 115 and a Elite Tiger Jig Rod.

The only problem with a surf rod is that it can only be used for that. Maybe there is a good balanced casting rod that will work for both as long as we don't have to cast a mile.

Where should we come to either have the deepest beaches to cast, best inlets to cast, or best place to kayak bait out in hopes of my son getting his feelings hurt and a good sweat?

The reason I am asking about the reels and rods is because I have to buy them directly from Pure Fishing and it could take a couple of weeks to get them to my house before we come.

I know that's a lot and I appreciate any and all responses in advance.

Thank you,
Jason

See less See more
#27 ·
That critter looks dangerous, I want no part of him on my rigs...

Dusky Sharks were monsters up here when I was young, there were some big ones in the 14' range. Long Lining took its toll and as a result the Cow Nose Ray population exploded.

Most of the Hammerheads in winter time are Scalloped come in all sizes from big to extra large.

#31 ·
I think a Garbo would be a Sandtiger. They don't fight much compared to other sharks but get big. I've heard as big as 13ft but 11ft is absolutely huge and 9ft is a dam good one.
6'9, my biggest but my buddy got one over 9 in 2016 wee get them in the spring down her in sc

A good way to get bait is go fish the pier at a busy time and then you have the chance to catch a ray and also ask someone for one. I just use a short Carolina rig with cut mullet most of the time but large cownose like fresh menhadden and the little ones likes fresh shrimp. Shark is good bait too.
Yum

I don't know the area or I would help you on spots. I was gonna do a spring trip up there but covid hit. Maybe I'll do a late fall trip for a hammer, dusky, sandbar trip.

#32 ·
We are coming the 24th of July through the 1st of August, then coming back in November. I overthink everything. I have put off ordering a couple of reels for over a week because I want to make sure what I get will stand up to whatever I hook. I think a 12/0 is overkill so I was thinking more like a Fathom II 40. That reel should handle almost anything I would imaging spooled with braid.

#33 ·
I would get a Fathom 15 on a 12ft rod rated to throw 10 ounces. It will handle sharks to 6 or 7 ft no problem, and would make a great drum rod in November. Also makes a great backup plan in case you can't kayak out bait.

If yakking bait is a certainty, also get a Penn 9/0 or larger, on a fighting rod. Make sure is rated for 50lb or heavier line of course. Rod doesn't need to be anything special, just has to not break. And remember for the fighting rod, shorter gives you more leverage. This gets important when trying to coax heavy weight onto the beach.

#40 ·
Fathom 60 would have plenty of drag and gearing, but line capacity is the limiting factor with this type of fishing, which is why the Senators are a popular option. I can't tell you how big a shark it would handle, but I'd guess up to 8 ft, species depending, with mono. For July blacktips it would be plenty. Loaded with braid, line capacity is no issue..... Just know braid can be a hassle when yakking out baits, and it requires more weight to hold bottom in wind/current. You would need a top shot of heavy mono, as was mentioned earlier.

Given it's a 2 speed lever drag, I wouldnt anticipate that it'd be a pleasure to cast. I could be wrong though.

#41 ·
Right on. I wasn't talking about casting it. I'm ordering a Fathom II 15 and a 12 foot surf rod to cast. That Fathom 60 I was just going to get on a 5'8 lite tiger for bottom fishing/sharking. Right now I'm just trying to find a place to stay. It's hard to believe with this covid crap that there aren't any rooms available south of nags head and kittyhawk. If i wanted to stay in a generic tourist trap area I would cut 4 hours off my drive and go to charleston. Its crazy that I live in NC and can be to Charleston SC in 4.5 hours but it takes us roughly 9 to 10 to get to the OBX. Any of you know anyone or have any names of places that I can call to find a room? We would like something with a small kitchen because of the kids and cooking our own food while we are there. I'll run braid on it. I fish braid/mono or flouro leader up here all the time. Mainly we just want to stay somewhere remote and have fun. I want the kids to have a blast and us not feel like we are in a touristy area.

#42 ·
We are going to stay at Hatteras Island Inn. I'll be fishing the point (as long as it isn't crowded), South Beach right to the west of it, and Hatteras Inlet. Any tips for fishing that area? I'm sure there is good shark fishing there. Of course we can go up to Avon or Salvo or Waves too. What is the best way to fish the Point, South Beach, and Hatteras Inlet (FROM THE BANK) to catch sharks. Are there any big ones there?

#43 ·
Disregard my last post. Just booked a room at the Islander Motel in Nags Head. It was the cheapest and had the best reviews that I could find. Anywhere close to Nags Head to fish?? Still planning on driving down to Hatteras almost daily though unless Oregon Inlet has anything going on.

#44 ·
We will be down the last week of July. The answers I get here will determine where we will stay because it is strictly a shark fishing trip. I am going to buy one rod/rell combo to bring for the trip. I am on Pure Fishing's Pro Staff so I'll have to use a Penn Reel and am open to either spinning or conventional.

If there are castable areas around the inlets or deep beaches I'm thinking about a US Senator 113 and a Tiger 7 foot casting rod.

If we are going to have to sling stuff half a mile I'm thinking about a Penn Spinfisher 7500 or bigger with a Ugly Stick Big Water 11 foot surf rod.

If we are going to have to primarily kayak baits out I'll just get a Penn Senator 114 or 115 and a Elite Tiger Jig Rod.

The only problem with a surf rod is that it can only be used for that. Maybe there is a good balanced casting rod that will work for both as long as we don't have to cast a mile.

Where should we come to either have the deepest beaches to cast, best inlets to cast, or best place to kayak bait out in hopes of my son getting his feelings hurt and a good sweat?

The reason I am asking about the reels and rods is because I have to buy them directly from Pure Fishing and it could take a couple of weeks to get them to my house before we come.

I know that's a lot and I appreciate any and all responses in advance.

Thank you,
Jason
Be aware some sharks are protected nowadays, they do have some restrictions in place

#47 ·
What he's sayin has nothin to do with catch and release .... you'll have to find an area with no swimmers .... like Cape Point, you can walk there now are Hatteras Inlet late afternoon possibly ... you hook up with a shark around swimmers and Karen gonna claw your eyes out .... this place North or South of the bridge is packed right now ... kids and surfers everywhere .... Even finding a place to fish for Pomps and Sea Mullets tough ....

#48 ·
Gotcha. How is the area up toward Corolla where you can drive the beach? I’m asking these questions because I don’t know the answers. Other than lower Hatteras is there anywhere like around waves or salvo where I’ll have room to set up on the beach and have some room?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.