Pier and Surf Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Right on. I wasn't talking about casting it. I'm ordering a Fathom II 15 and a 12 foot surf rod to cast. That Fathom 60 I was just going to get on a 5'8 lite tiger for bottom fishing/sharking. Right now I'm just trying to find a place to stay. It's hard to believe with this covid crap that there aren't any rooms available south of nags head and kittyhawk. If i wanted to stay in a generic tourist trap area I would cut 4 hours off my drive and go to charleston. Its crazy that I live in NC and can be to Charleston SC in 4.5 hours but it takes us roughly 9 to 10 to get to the OBX. Any of you know anyone or have any names of places that I can call to find a room? We would like something with a small kitchen because of the kids and cooking our own food while we are there. I'll run braid on it. I fish braid/mono or flouro leader up here all the time. Mainly we just want to stay somewhere remote and have fun. I want the kids to have a blast and us not feel like we are in a touristy area.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
We are going to stay at Hatteras Island Inn. I'll be fishing the point (as long as it isn't crowded), South Beach right to the west of it, and Hatteras Inlet. Any tips for fishing that area? I'm sure there is good shark fishing there. Of course we can go up to Avon or Salvo or Waves too. What is the best way to fish the Point, South Beach, and Hatteras Inlet (FROM THE BANK) to catch sharks. Are there any big ones there?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Disregard my last post. Just booked a room at the Islander Motel in Nags Head. It was the cheapest and had the best reviews that I could find. Anywhere close to Nags Head to fish?? Still planning on driving down to Hatteras almost daily though unless Oregon Inlet has anything going on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We will be down the last week of July. The answers I get here will determine where we will stay because it is strictly a shark fishing trip. I am going to buy one rod/rell combo to bring for the trip. I am on Pure Fishing's Pro Staff so I'll have to use a Penn Reel and am open to either spinning or conventional.

If there are castable areas around the inlets or deep beaches I'm thinking about a US Senator 113 and a Tiger 7 foot casting rod.

If we are going to have to sling stuff half a mile I'm thinking about a Penn Spinfisher 7500 or bigger with a Ugly Stick Big Water 11 foot surf rod.

If we are going to have to primarily kayak baits out I'll just get a Penn Senator 114 or 115 and a Elite Tiger Jig Rod.

The only problem with a surf rod is that it can only be used for that. Maybe there is a good balanced casting rod that will work for both as long as we don't have to cast a mile.

Where should we come to either have the deepest beaches to cast, best inlets to cast, or best place to kayak bait out in hopes of my son getting his feelings hurt and a good sweat?

The reason I am asking about the reels and rods is because I have to buy them directly from Pure Fishing and it could take a couple of weeks to get them to my house before we come.

I know that's a lot and I appreciate any and all responses in advance.

Thank you,
Jason
Be aware some sharks are protected nowadays, they do have some restrictions in place

·
Registered
798 Posts
What he's sayin has nothin to do with catch and release .... you'll have to find an area with no swimmers .... like Cape Point, you can walk there now are Hatteras Inlet late afternoon possibly ... you hook up with a shark around swimmers and Karen gonna claw your eyes out .... this place North or South of the bridge is packed right now ... kids and surfers everywhere .... Even finding a place to fish for Pomps and Sea Mullets tough ....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Gotcha. How is the area up toward Corolla where you can drive the beach? I’m asking these questions because I don’t know the answers. Other than lower Hatteras is there anywhere like around waves or salvo where I’ll have room to set up on the beach and have some room?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Gotcha. How is the area up toward Corolla where you can drive the beach? I’m asking these questions because I don’t know the answers. Other than lower Hatteras is there anywhere like around waves or salvo where I’ll have room to set up on the beach and have some room?
Fish the beach on Pea Island which is south of the Oregon Inlet bridge. You can't drive on. Park anywhere along the road (watch for bird closures) and its a short walk to the beach. Miles of beaches and no people hardly, except at the ranger station.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know much about shark fishing specifically but I do have a lot of experience of fishing the beaches up and down Hatteras Island (south of the Oregon Inlet) and some on Bodie Island (north of the inlet). Its important to keep in mind that the beaches and ocean just off of the Outer Banks change a lot so what is deep this month may not be next month, or even next week. That being said there are some general rules I have observed over the last 20 years. Ocean up towards Corolla is typically shallower. Nags Head area is of decent depth but you are not going to be able to drive on the beach in the summer and are going to have to put up with a lot more non-fishing tourists. Ramps 2&4 (the only National Seashore Ramps on Bodie Island) have decent depth but you will not be able to go all the way around to the inlet due to bird closures in the summer, I haven't had a ton of luck here fishing in recent years. Ramps 25, 27, 30, and 32 are some of the best on the island and very underappreciated. These are typically fairly deep waters though that can change. Ramp 38 is similar in depth to 25-32 but tend to be a little more crowded. Ramps 43 and 44 north of "The Point" are usually pretty deep especially in the hole that forms just north of the cape itself. Couple problems here are the fact that there are a lot of bird closures here in the summer (it is set to open fully Monday though); it is popular thus gets crowded quickly, and the beach on the north side of the point is not very wide and can at times be impassible at high tide. South of the point is typically only accessible via foot either by parking at the beginning of the closure on Ramp 44 or by South Beach road (old Ramp 45) through the campground. The water here however is not very deep (great spot for flounder but probably not sharks). I wouldn't waste my time with Ramps 48 and 49 as they are always very crowded, very shallow, and the water is full of seaweed. Ramp 55 is a long haul from Nags Head and is probably the most inconsistent. Sometimes you can get some deep water here but most of my trips down there it has been fairly shallow, I do like to try it though when there is a strong northerly wind because there it will be at your back as opposed to blowing sideways on the Northern beaches. I've never done any fishing on Ocracoke, but they have some excellent beaches from what I hear if you want to bear the hour ferry ride over there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I don't know much about shark fishing specifically but I do have a lot of experience of fishing the beaches up and down Hatteras Island (south of the Oregon Inlet) and some on Bodie Island (north of the inlet). Its important to keep in mind that the beaches and ocean just off of the Outer Banks change a lot so what is deep this month may not be next month, or even next week. That being said there are some general rules I have observed over the last 20 years. Ocean up towards Corolla is typically shallower. Nags Head area is of decent depth but you are not going to be able to drive on the beach in the summer and are going to have to put up with a lot more non-fishing tourists. Ramps 2&4 (the only National Seashore Ramps on Bodie Island) have decent depth but you will not be able to go all the way around to the inlet due to bird closures in the summer, I haven't had a ton of luck here fishing in recent years. Ramps 25, 27, 30, and 32 are some of the best on the island and very underappreciated. These are typically fairly deep waters though that can change. Ramp 38 is similar in depth to 25-32 but tend to be a little more crowded. Ramps 43 and 44 north of "The Point" are usually pretty deep especially in the hole that forms just north of the cape itself. Couple problems here are the fact that there are a lot of bird closures here in the summer (it is set to open fully Monday though); it is popular thus gets crowded quickly, and the beach on the north side of the point is not very wide and can at times be impassible at high tide. South of the point is typically only accessible via foot either by parking at the beginning of the closure on Ramp 44 or by South Beach road (old Ramp 45) through the campground. The water here however is not very deep (great spot for flounder but probably not sharks). I wouldn't waste my time with Ramps 48 and 49 as they are always very crowded, very shallow, and the water is full of seaweed. Ramp 55 is a long haul from Nags Head and is probably the most inconsistent. Sometimes you can get some deep water here but most of my trips down there it has been fairly shallow, I do like to try it though when there is a strong northerly wind because there it will be at your back as opposed to blowing sideways on the Northern beaches. I've never done any fishing on Ocracoke, but they have some excellent beaches from what I hear if you want to bear the hour ferry ride over there.
I had already been eyeing the area south of waves and down toward salvo. I think we will focus our time around there. Do they get really crowded or will we be able to park and have plenty of room to fish? obx96, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response!! I'll follow your advice for sure. Are the tackle shops down there the real deal or do they say what is necessary to make money. I know in the bass fishing world you'll get told whatever to get you to buy something. I've got several rods and reels that will work surf fishing, but I did buy a Penn US Senator 113N. It's the narrow version they used to replace the baja special. It says it will hold quite a bit of 50 lb braid. The reason I asked about the tackle shops is because I didn't buy a rod to put it on. I'm going to wait until i get there.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Tw's will have whatever you need. All the shops down there are nice . Tw's is in nags head. Frank and frans in avon, red drum in Buxton. Also in Buxton is hatteras style custom rods, Bryan is the guy you need to talk to about shark fishing . You should watch the video on their fb page for reference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Tw's will have whatever you need. All the shops down there are nice . Tw's is in nags head. Frank and frans in avon, red drum in Buxton. Also in Buxton is hatteras style custom rods, Bryan is the guy you need to talk to about shark fishing . You should watch the video on their fb page for reference.
10-4 man. I appreciate it. I'll buy a good "fairly reasonable rod" to use while I'm down there. I guess it'll all depend on what we end up doing. I'd like to link up with a few guys who do it so we can get our feet wet. I'll have two teenage boys with me who are stout and will be good help lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had already been eyeing the area south of waves and down toward salvo. I think we will focus our time around there. Do they get really crowded or will we be able to park and have plenty of room to fish? obx96, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response!! I'll follow your advice for sure. Are the tackle shops down there the real deal or do they say what is necessary to make money. I know in the bass fishing world you'll get told whatever to get you to buy something. I've got several rods and reels that will work surf fishing, but I did buy a Penn US Senator 113N. It's the narrow version they used to replace the baja special. It says it will hold quite a bit of 50 lb braid. The reason I asked about the tackle shops is because I didn't buy a rod to put it on. I'm going to wait until i get there.
All of the beaches can get pretty busy in the summer and I’ve heard this year is busier than usual but if you are willing to get out there before 9:00 you should have you pick of beach and stake out a spot for the day. The ramps just south of a salvo are typically the least busy but busy is a relative term on Hatteras Island, busy is when you have another vehicle within 50 yards. As for bait and tackle shops I frequent the Fishin Hole in Salvo and Dillons Corner in Buxton.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
All of the beaches can get pretty busy in the summer and I’ve heard this year is busier than usual but if you are willing to get out there before 9:00 you should have you pick of beach and stake out a spot for the day. The ramps just south of a salvo are typically the least busy but busy is a relative term on Hatteras Island, busy is when you have another vehicle within 50 yards. As for bait and tackle shops I frequent the Fishin Hole in Salvo and Dillons Corner in Buxton.
I really appreciate it. Last time I was in OBX was in 2005 while I was stationed in Charleston. My sister and brother in law lived at Nags Head. His dad owned one of the local restaurants. Tragically, his father committed suicide and they moved to the mountains after that. Brent was a big surfer and local guy to down there. I hate going places and feeling like a tourist making all the locals mad. I know how it feels up here in the mountains every summer and fall when the leaves turn.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I really appreciate it. Last time I was in OBX was in 2005 while I was stationed in Charleston. My sister and brother in law lived at Nags Head. His dad owned one of the local restaurants. Tragically, his father committed suicide and they moved to the mountains after that. Brent was a big surfer and local guy to down there. I hate going places and feeling like a tourist making all the locals mad. I know how it feels up here in the mountains every summer and fall when the leaves turn.
Hope you have a great time, there’s no better place on earth than the OBX!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Hope you have a great time, there’s no better place on earth than the OBX!
I'm no saltwater expert, but I'm guessing my bass gear 7'3 + foot baitcasters with 30lb braid/flouro leader will work casting for babies in the surf?

41 - 60 of 94 Posts