Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Garbo, you said get a jaws reel then you said a fathom 15 is plenty. The Fathom II 15 has magnetic cast control so I can chunk bait a long way if we can't figure out the whole kayak concept. Do you live on the OBX? My sister and brother in law lived on Nags Head til they moved up here to the mountains. He is from down there. I'm thinking about the oceanmaster surf 10' casting rod. What will this setup handle?

Fathom II 15 loaded with 50lb Spiderwire Stealth Braid, Top Shot of Berkelys 100lb saltwater and a heavy shock leader with that 10' oceanmaster surf rod

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you have the ability to get a kayak and a bigger sennator, bigger is always better. Get a 9/0 and fill it with 100# mono and you can catch most sharks to about 10ft and have much better chances of landing smaller 5 to 8ft sharks then on spinning gear. As for the spinning gear a 8500 spinfisher can catch most sharks to about 8ft if you got some skill. I fish kayaked baits and casters when shark fishing. The only reel benifits of a longer rod is keeping your line off the sandbars if there are any. With a big bait weight and shark rig you don't cast a lot further with a longer rod. A spectacular cast with a decent shark bait and rig would be 80yds, I usually throw mine 30 to 50yds depending bait size and casting leader. The biggest shark I've ever hooked on a casting rod was on a short cast. It was about 25yds at high tide and the tide went out some so it was like 10 yds out. I had a big 8000 on a 12ft ugly stick and I locked down the drag and I fought it with the tip up how you normally fight a fish and it was dragging me down the beach basically until it broke me off on a jettie almost a quarter mile away. They like to cruise the first ledge looking for food at dusk and Dawn.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I can get whatever size senator I need and a kayak. What i may be lacking is the skill to paddle the kayak out in the surf lol. I found a what appears to be a section just south of salvo that looks deep and the bar isn't visible. The bar then comes off the beach to the south and creates a deep gut from the looks of it. That looks really close to the beach. You have any experience with that section??

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I recommended a big reel as you said you wanted Big Sharks, if 6 or 7 footers are what you are looking for then get a Fathom, I have several they cast nice. I catch more Sharks than I want, Drum fishing.

Once sharks get around nine or ten feet long other than Garbo's you are not going to get them in with casting tackle. You do hook them, and you do get to watch your line strip off your spool, if they happen to get hooked where they do not bite you off.

The beach changes after storms. What is deep on day is filled in the next and vice versa. Certain areas like the Point have sharks year round. In the fall and Christmas time it is Sand Bars and Hammerheads. In winter it is all Sandbars, they are pushing 9 feet now that they are protected. When the water gets warm the Blacktips arrive from Florida.

If you do not feel safe launching in surf, wait for a calm day and cast out your baits when the surf is up and wind is in your face.

Blacktips and Spinners will be all over the Point area and the Hook area right now the same goes for Hatteras Inlet.

Get a heaver and a Fathom and get bowed up, if you are not used to conventional reels get big spinner.

:)A 6/0 filled with 100 pound braid will be easier on you on the beach, than a 12/0 and a Fathom will be easier still,

·
Registered
92 Posts
See if you can get in contact with someone around the area that yaks. If it's not an issue a 14/0 with 130# mono will catch almost anything. A good kayak makes it easier, the ocean kayak frenzy and scrambler are go to models. You can catch a harvestable shark or ray on your caster and hook it by the anal fin on the sennator. You tug the line with just enough tension to make them swim out on their own freely, some people cut a few good luck stripes in them for extra attention. This works good on the outgoing around a point or inlet, the bait swims out with the tide. Also yaking baits is for the size of bait as much as distance. You could never cast a chunk of ray the size of a basketball behind the breakers but you can easily yak it. I drop my line at different distances to get more coverage. caster 50yds small yaked bait 100yds short drop big bait 150yds+ big bait bombed 400yds+. In the day the deep drops do better but at night the first ledge is where it's at. If you drop deep and reel in you can fell your weight drag over bars and hit ledges. I then try to drop on the first ledge that is usually 10ft or so deep on most beaches it just different distance. At some beaches it's 30ft to the ledge, at others its 800yds.

My biggest shark yet and I started in 2016 but didn't fish alot in 2018 or 2019 so it's like my 3rd to 5th season depending how you count it.

Garbo, Are those hammerheads big around Christmas time? Also do you know if people catch big duskies up there, like over 9ft.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
That critter looks dangerous, I want no part of him on my rigs...

Dusky Sharks were monsters up here when I was young, there were some big ones in the 14' range. Long Lining took its toll and as a result the Cow Nose Ray population exploded.

Most of the Hammerheads in winter time are Scalloped come in all sizes from big to extra large.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The inlet has plenty of sharks. If you have trouble catching a properly sized ray, stop by any of the marinas around 4:30 or 5:00 and ask the fish cleaners for some tuna heads.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Whats the best bait/way to catch a ray? I heard there are a lot of cownose rays there. Garbo said to go about 500 yards north of the hook area and paddle a bait out about 500-800 yards. He said we would get bit and possibly by something BIG

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think a Garbo would be a Sandtiger. They don't fight much compared to other sharks but get big. I've heard as big as 13ft but 11ft is absolutely huge and 9ft is a dam good one.
6'9, my biggest but my buddy got one over 9 in 2016 wee get them in the spring down her in sc

A good way to get bait is go fish the pier at a busy time and then you have the chance to catch a ray and also ask someone for one. I just use a short Carolina rig with cut mullet most of the time but large cownose like fresh menhadden and the little ones likes fresh shrimp. Shark is good bait too.
Yum

I don't know the area or I would help you on spots. I was gonna do a spring trip up there but covid hit. Maybe I'll do a late fall trip for a hammer, dusky, sandbar trip.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
We are coming the 24th of July through the 1st of August, then coming back in November. I overthink everything. I have put off ordering a couple of reels for over a week because I want to make sure what I get will stand up to whatever I hook. I think a 12/0 is overkill so I was thinking more like a Fathom II 40. That reel should handle almost anything I would imaging spooled with braid.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would get a Fathom 15 on a 12ft rod rated to throw 10 ounces. It will handle sharks to 6 or 7 ft no problem, and would make a great drum rod in November. Also makes a great backup plan in case you can't kayak out bait.

If yakking bait is a certainty, also get a Penn 9/0 or larger, on a fighting rod. Make sure is rated for 50lb or heavier line of course. Rod doesn't need to be anything special, just has to not break. And remember for the fighting rod, shorter gives you more leverage. This gets important when trying to coax heavy weight onto the beach.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Two different systems there. 60 is smaller in terms of size and line capacity and overall size than a 6/0.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Will you take a loot at the Penn Fathom 60, two speed lever drag and tell me if you think it's sufficient?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Depends how you fish it but 6 to 9ft is large for that reel where as on a 12/0 a 6 to 9ft is a smeduim ish fish. 80# braid is how I'd fish it to 100# mono to my leader.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fathom 60 would have plenty of drag and gearing, but line capacity is the limiting factor with this type of fishing, which is why the Senators are a popular option. I can't tell you how big a shark it would handle, but I'd guess up to 8 ft, species depending, with mono. For July blacktips it would be plenty. Loaded with braid, line capacity is no issue..... Just know braid can be a hassle when yakking out baits, and it requires more weight to hold bottom in wind/current. You would need a top shot of heavy mono, as was mentioned earlier.

Given it's a 2 speed lever drag, I wouldnt anticipate that it'd be a pleasure to cast. I could be wrong though.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts