Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be down the last week of July. The answers I get here will determine where we will stay because it is strictly a shark fishing trip. I am going to buy one rod/rell combo to bring for the trip. I am on Pure Fishing's Pro Staff so I'll have to use a Penn Reel and am open to either spinning or conventional.

If there are castable areas around the inlets or deep beaches I'm thinking about a US Senator 113 and a Tiger 7 foot casting rod.

If we are going to have to sling stuff half a mile I'm thinking about a Penn Spinfisher 7500 or bigger with a Ugly Stick Big Water 11 foot surf rod.

If we are going to have to primarily kayak baits out I'll just get a Penn Senator 114 or 115 and a Elite Tiger Jig Rod.

The only problem with a surf rod is that it can only be used for that. Maybe there is a good balanced casting rod that will work for both as long as we don't have to cast a mile.

Where should we come to either have the deepest beaches to cast, best inlets to cast, or best place to kayak bait out in hopes of my son getting his feelings hurt and a good sweat?

The reason I am asking about the reels and rods is because I have to buy them directly from Pure Fishing and it could take a couple of weeks to get them to my house before we come.

I know that's a lot and I appreciate any and all responses in advance.

Thank you,
Jason

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
What size shark is your ideal target? What is your experience level? Have you ever launched a kayak from a beach with decent surf?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a boat guy. I've fished the ocean quite a bit from Little Cayman to Panama City to Oregon Inlet, but not what I'm talking about right now. I have never launched a kayak from the beach. I want my son and myself to have the best opportunity to hook and potentially land the biggest shark possible while we are there. The gear I listed above "should" be able to handle anything up to about 6 or 7 feet from what i've read. I could be wrong though. I was going to bring my boat, but was told the sides were too low due to it being a bass boat so we're leaving it at home. I have been fishing and hunting my entire life and want us to have a real adventure and not something we can do everyday. Charter boats are great, but I'm not paying 1200.00 to go out for one day or pay considerably less to stay tangled up with the typical clients on a head boat. I'm just asking for advice on where our best shot is at the deepest castable areas to hook a big one or "potentially" kayak some baits out if the surf isn't too bad and there aren't any deep water spots within casting range of the rigs I listed in the post above. Thank you for responding so quick!!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
How old is your son?

I would suggest going the route of a 12' heavy rod and casting baits. You're going to need 8oz lead to hold. You need to do some research on here. Learn to tie a shock leader for casting heavy loads. You should also look at getting a breakaway cannon for a spinning rod if you go the penn 7500 route, it'll save your finger some pain. A 4 to 5 foot shark on a long rod can be a lot of fun. It can be a lot of work to get one through the bar if it doesn't want to play nice. I personally am not a fan of steel leaders and prefer to use 200# mono cannonball rigs if I'm targeting sharks not drum. It's a personal preference more for the sake of the shark , but to each their own. really anywhere along the outer banks is good for sharks, depending on where you are staying. I would suggest to fish in the hatters national seashore as opposed to nags head for them. Not sure how north of Oregon inlet feels about sharking, they have lots of swimmers. Morning and late afternoon are the better daylight hours to fish. Night time is best, but remember what comes out of the water has to go back in. Being in the dark makes everything more difficult. Be careful, good luck, have fun.

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's 15 and 6'2". Are there any stretches of the outer banks where the bar is closest to the beach??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm wanting to fish early, late, and at night mostly. Will people grief you for sharking near the point? Also, you can keep a vehicle out there all night as long as someone is awake from what I read.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Currently osv ramps close at 9pm and open a 6 or 7 am . To prevent people from hitting turtles. No one will give you grief sharking at the point. You probably would get help with your catch, most people are very nice. Although if your there during drum season braid line is highly frowned upon. Dont bring braid to the point. The ramps are closed but you can still walk on after 9pm. You can look at the nps.gov website for current conditions, alerts and restrictions.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You lose leverage after about ten ft and it makes you fight the rod a lot more then the fish. Most shark casters in my area use 10ft rods and 65 to 80# braid to a #100 or #150 wind-on casting leader about two ft longer then from the reel to the rod tip. We tie this on with a fg knot and put a sinker slider on it and tie to a swivel. We then tie our choice of #15-#19 single strand wire to the swivel and to our hook, a in-line carbon circle hook size 9/0-20/0 depending on the bait and how we fish it. The best bait for big sharks is shark or ray because the little sharks don't or can't eat it. If you get a good spider weight you can use from a 4-8oz and they basically hold the same because it's based of the leg size and strength to bend out. I'd take 3 or 4 rods for the 2 of you. 2 lighter bait catchers to keep you entertained if the shark bite is slow and two shark rods. I'd fish one with either live or cut fish and if I got a harvestable sharker or a ray if use that on the other. You can catch some good sharks in close. Have you a hook or wire cuter handy and becareful because the 6 and under sharks are the dangerous ones on the beach. I like to clean and cut up my bait in the surf if there are no swimmers around. It keeps the beach from stinking and attracting bugs. I've always heard the point was great. Tide changes, and dusk and Dawn bite are usually best. High tide on the beach and the lower outgoing in inlets have been good for me. I'd also pick a couples spots incase surf is bad or the bite is bad. I'd talk to locals and go to a few of the tackle shops along the way or at least call. Bonita is the best bait for action but small sharks demolish it, so if there is a lot around it can be tough or expensive to cull out the little guys. Good luck and post a follow up report which people never due.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The point is currenty closed to vehicles about a quarter mile away, so if you don't mind walking with your gear there may be few people fishing there. Yesterday there were only 4 others when I was there early in the morning. The NPS could change that before the end of July if the chicks finally fly off and no new nesters show up.

I would advise against kayaking in the surf unless the ocean is flat. It takes skill, practice, and safety equipment if someting happens to make it through the surf and back.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found a deep stretch of beach on google earth just south of salvo. Anyone ever fish there? Looks like a deep gut there too. Over on N.C. Angler someone said yaupon beach and the channel at the tip of oak island? Anyone know anything about either of them?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We will have fun either way. I’m torn on whether to get a penn 113 us senator or a penn Spinfisher 8500 or a penn senator 114. Advice?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We will have fun either way. I’m torn on whether to get a penn 113 us senator or a penn Spinfisher 8500 or a penn senator 114. Advice?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Senators not being a casting reel is an understatement. Unless you have experience casting a senator, save yourself a lot of grief and go the spinning route. If you want a Penn Casting Reel, go with a Fathom 15. I also have to agree with one of the earlier posts, if you are going to fish for sharks from the beach, go with a 12' rod or 11' at the minimum.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Brian Lester's a shark fishing guide .... Book him at Hatteras Heavers in Buxton .... he'll show you how ..... I've watched him bring in some big sharks, including some whopper Hammerheads ...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Since you get the Penn discount get the 12/0 and stop screwing around with small Sharks. Plenty of Monsters out there that need to be taught a lesson. Not sure if the 14/0 is still available new, but if it is get it.

Anywhere on the OBX dropping a big bait in deep water will result in some critter eating it. In the Hook area you have a much higher chance of some critter hitting your kayak especially if you are dripping fluids.

If your son is 6'2" at Age 16 you feed him too well. Water will rip out of the Inlets at low tide and the Bull Sharks live on the North side of Hatteras Inlet out about 800 yards about 500 yards North of the Inlet. and when I say they Live there this time of year, paddle on out and they will come around.

Remember big Sharks are unruly critters and they will attack if you are slow afoot.

Remember if you drag a giant one up on the beach, unless you plan on keeping him, you have to drag him back into the water which usually with a big Shark means stepping over the 1st ledge with the Shark.

Probably the best advice is a Penn Fathom 15, that provides me all the Sharking I ever need and then some.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Drop a 20 pound body section of one of those Scallop sucking down Cownose Rays out there around Dusk in the Hatteras Inlet North side and you are going to have visitors. You have to get the beach permit but you can leave your Truck on the Pole Road all night and fish right off the end of the ramp access. Sorry about the typo if your Son is 6'2" and 15, he definitely is eating too much.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Most other areas of the beach have quite a longer hike than the Pole Road last turn-off, especially if you decide to pack it in and want to get off the beach.

Remember to bring Off as there are other critters on the Pole Road that are far more dangerous than the Sharks.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts