Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i am brand new to pier/surf fishing and would like to learn a few things. I just learned the the basics to freshwater fishing this spring and was introduced to pier fishing this pass weekend. As i walked passed other fishmens holding 10ft+ poles, holding my 6ft long ugly stick with 10lbs test lines, i felt like a total idiot.

So now i am here to learn how to fish with the big boys. To start off, i need to shop for a new rod/reel combo. I really like my ugly stick so i plan on getting a ~10ft long one, but no sure about the reel yet. I am also looking for some places to fish. The only place i know off is a pier right after the baybridge, called romanoke i believe. The entrance reads "Dpt of natural resources" or something like that. WE didn't catch anything worthy to be happy about but we had a little action through the night.

So any recommendations for places to go and a reel? This is my first year fishing, so please pardon me if i a little slow on the fishing slangs/terms.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
First, I'm no expert at the "pier thing", but tried the Tank on my day off, and you could do with a 9' or 10' pole (mine are 10' - 11' surf-rods, love Assateague Island), but the butts can be too long. I like Ocean Master rods (check out Bass shop at Arundel Mills) and I like the Penn 6500 reel, but you can probably get by with something from KMart or WalMart.

My first surf rod (not quite stiff enough, but really got me into surf-fishing was a no name about 11') was rated but up to I think 5oz, lots of times need 8 - 10oz) but it worked (less than $130) and still use as one of my rods.

Other than that, some of us are heading to the Choptank, Cambridge side tomorrow night (I'll be there about 1:00 am God willing others showing up around 3:30 am I think to catch the tide). If able come on out, I'll have a rod you can use unless you find one.

·
Registered
671 Posts
first, if you go to choptank, you really don't need a big rod and reels. but at matapeake and romancoke, you'll need 10'-12' rod. don't get carried away and get a 15', because it's to heavy and you won't normally cast as far as a 12' rod.(i have a 15' ugly stick and i dont use it. ( $40 if anyone is interested)) :p
when you decide to get a big rod, be sure to use shock leader, or you'll probably loose a lot of tackle.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Greetings

Let me be the first to welcome you aboard.

The first thing I thought when I read your post, was that the guys fishing off a pier, with 10' rods, had more reason to question thier choice of tackle, than you did.

I'm not familiar with the pier you refer to, and it's quite possible that you need to cast a long way, in order to be successful at that location.

But as a general rule, long rods are not neccessary, for bridge and pier fishing. The only real reason to use a rod over 6' or 7' long, is to increase your casting distance, and to hold your line up out of the breaking surf, when fishing off the beach.

Your Ugly Stik is a particularly good rod for a beginner. Shakespeare doesn't get enough credit for the excelent characteristics of these rods. And you can land 99% of the fish that you'll hook, on 10# test. Don't sell your present outfit short.

That being said, yes, a 9' to 12' Ugly Stik would make a very good choice as a heavy rod for pier and surf fishing. But like most things in life, it's not that simple.

Being new to salt water fishing, I'm sure that you'll want to try many different techniques. For that reason, versatility is of utmost importance.

An "all purpose" rod should be rated for about 17# to 20# line, and be able to handle lures or baits in the 1 to 4 oz. range.

A good way to choose a reel, is to determine what test line you want to fish, and how much of that line you'll need on the spool. Then look at reels with those capacities.

The essential component of any reel is it's drag. The leaders in this field all have good drag systems. Thats WHY they're the most popular brands. There are also some less expensive reels that have good drags.

If cost isn't an issue, then by all means, buy Penn Reels. You'll never regret owning good reels, but it makes more sense to buy an inexpensive reel, and use it until you have the experience neccessary to make an informed choice.

I'll leave the question of "where to fish" to the other guys on this board. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Smoothbore54

Excellent post, but in my defense I love surf-fishing, thus my longer rods, and since they "ain't cheap", I was experimenting with the rods I owned on the pier. Will say at the Tank, was an easy cast to the new bridge pilings from the old bridge with all three rods, but did like the shorter butts on my smaller surf rods.

Terpfan, what ounce lure/weight with bait is it rated? Stiff tip that is capable of tossing 6 - 10 ounces of lead into the surf?

·
Registered
671 Posts
at the pier that you fished, either matapeake or romancoke, you need to cast pretty far. I been on both or the pier over 50 times each last year and this year. I think casting far is very important on these piers. as i say before, if you go to choptank, your set up is fine. (you might need a bridge nets for the big fish) from my experience in matapeake and romancoke, casting far is very important. i almost never see people catching anything unless, they have pretty good casting technique.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
kwan 1....You just received a lot of very excellent advice from our fellow brothers. Smoothbore is right, you really don't need a long rod for most pier fishing but the Tank is an exception. There are oyster beds that draw the croakers and to reach this prime ground you must be able to cast 100 + yds. Additionally the pier at the Tank (acually it's the original Rt. 50 bridge) can be anywhere from 8' to 15' off the water and you need the leverage of a longer rod to bring the fish up and over the railing. There are also the bridge supports that will cut your line in a second. Rockfish tend to head for the pilings once hooked and you need the longer rod to keep them away. I don't like to use anything shorter than 8' and will use up to 11' if livelining for rock. I've seen too many guys get cut off because they couldn't control the fish up close. Also with a shorter rod you can't control a larger fish to get it in position for a drop net. I agree that the 12' to 15' surf rods are probably overkill but a lot of the guys just feel comfortable with them. If you can, take Shaggy's advice and join us early Saturday morning on the Cambridge side. He's offered the use of his extra rod(s) and I always carry extra rods also. This will give you the opportunity to try a couple of different rods that will aid in your decision of what to buy. As for tackle don't buy anything extra, we'll have plenty. So if you can make it you're more than welcome to fish with us.

Catman.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
kwan1- Welcome to the board,we've got alot of good people here with good advise they will stear you in the right direction,I to fish the Tank and have a 10' ugly stick with a Zebco SW Sport Spinn reel that holds 20#test and it does help when you hook into a big Rock or a very large Ray,but what catman says about the oyster beds being so far out is true you need that lenght to get to them,I also use two 9' rods both being Shakespeares with off the wall reels(good enought for now) I think you should join the old timers this Sat. at the Tank and learn how to fish it and see what little tricks they can teach you about catching fish,catman has some up his sleeves,he's taught me one or two things. I wish I could be there" but"my time was last Sunday and did very well. TRIGGER

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.