Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go to this website....

www.hurricanetrack.com

Check this website out on the track of hurricane Isabel.

In the first paragraph it has the meteorologist in his writing saying that hurricane Isabel will hit the Outer Banks at about 130mph than go directly over us and end up still packing a punch with 80mph winds in Pennsylvania, you can read that again Pennsylvania INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went to Little Island Pier last night. I wonder if I'll see it again!?!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
MOTHER NATURES mad for all this dam pollution peop[le are creating in the waters maybe thatll help it out a lil bit :D

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I've been offline for the last 24 hours...I am not liking what I'm seeing. This map has it making landfall on Va. Beach and going straight up the throat of the bay. This is going to be a very, very bad week. :(

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
keezy, I have heard th fishing after a "weak" cane is excellent. If this one stays th coarse an streanght it aint gonna be weak. :jawdrop:

·
Registered
160 Posts
keezy said:
Anyone have any experience with how the fishing is affected after a hurricane?

Fishing?!!! There may be no boats left and the piers may be gone, so that just leaves the surf with 20+ foot swells.....Good luck. It will be a week (maybe much longer) before most of us will even think about fishing.

This storm WILL be a killer. Be safe, don't let it be you.

Mitch

·
Registered
290 Posts
Who’s packing up and heading west?

I just can’t commit but the family has to be considered.

scheewwwww, 130 to 80 mi. hour winds............:eek:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Won't be thinking of fishing until this storm passes. If fact I am running to the store for supplies better safe than sorry. Hope the pier's can last though this one. Its is looking bad for those along the coast. Everyone do a walk though of your yard and Please pick up ALL loose objects that could pose a risk.Be careful everyone!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
This is gonna sound nuts to some of you but I am eagerly anticipating this storm. All my life I have loved big storms, and have been through several tornadoes in both Michigan and Northwest Indiana.

I plan to head to the shore and video tape as it gets closer. 20ft swells? Wow. I just hope Lynnhaven pier survives.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
You must be one of them adrenaline junkies....like me!:D Of course I am more for playing with the gators and snakes in Fl than messing with the hurricanes. I saw the devastation after Andrew in Fl. Ain't no pretty site. If this bad boy hits us the bay will never be the same.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I should explain that I'm not a sicko and won't be out fishing if everyone's house gets flattened... after all the canes I have experienced there is a week of beautiful weather right afterwards, but terrible (freshwater) fishing.
hopefully this storm peters-out when it hits the colder than normal water we have had.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It still looks bad for the tidewater area of Virginia. The coastline isn't going to look the same. :eek:

There are predicting for our area to experience over 100mph winds still. The storm surge will be icredible at places such as Sandbridge and Lynnhaven. Even though it has weakened they are still predicting the worse for here.

You can check out the predicted track of Isabelle at this link...

http://www.hurricanetrack.com/Java/westatl.html

Prepare and be safe.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Fishing is very good before a hurricane. I remember in my younger day, I got caught in Oregan Inlet bridge with winds gustings and none of the fishermen would leave because as soon as we had a line in the water we would get fish. Then I realized all the cars moving north and gave it up. I didn't realize there was a hurricane coming. It took me about 3 hours to go from the bridge to the where the highway for the Outer Banks start. Those were the days before the weather channel and when I was more foolish.

I did fish after a hurricane with some success; however, it is kinda depressing as you go to the fishing spots with all the limbs, messed up building, and general destruction. It definitely doesn't seem right to be fishing with so much destruction around you.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
GraphixDude said:
This is gonna sound nuts to some of you but I am eagerly anticipating this storm. All my life I have loved big storms, and have been through several tornadoes in both Michigan and Northwest Indiana.

I plan to head to the shore and video tape as it gets closer. 20ft swells? Wow. I just hope Lynnhaven pier survives.
GraphicDude: These storms can be amazing to see, but please be careful out there. There's a reason why all the older folks around are very nervous about this storm. Hurricanes are not like tornadoes, which come up fast and leave fast. They build slower and they are unrelenting. Most of all, you must fear the storm surge, which, if piled on top of a high tide, can flood everything in sight.

If there's a big storm surge, most of Lynnhaven Pier will be swallowed. The beach will be underwater. Shore Drive will be impassable. The sidestreet up to the pier will be impassable. Willoughby Spit will be flooded out.

I'm not trying to be condescending, but most people in hurricanes die from drowning. Go out and get a look at things but please be careful. If this thing takes the path it appears it will, you will be in a very bad place if you try and venture into lowlying areas near the beach.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Graphix You obviously need some educating

Not bustin you, but you dont want to head toward this type of hurricane. Ive surfed them and fished before/after and been washed off jetties a day before landfall by rogue waves. Sandbridge to say the spit could take this head on, depending on direction. Afterward, traveling could be snail to standing. About 24 hours before landfall you should be able to see some nice rollers from Seagull Pier. Go around to the other side of the island and the rollers should be starting to crash on the rocks and throw some good spray. Best part is you have a day to get someplace else. Had to evacuate from Brenda around 96 and stopped at Seagull so I remember the rollers. Brenda turned out to be a complete fizzle and never was this type. Have fun but stay safe.:barf:

·
Registered
472 Posts
I too, love the majestic power of a big storm.

I wish I had enough guts to watch this one from the top deck of the house in Corolla.

When I was younger, I was a volunteer fireman and ambulance driver.

During Hurricane Agnes, in 1972, I "hot wired" a diesel log skidder, and drove it thru 5' of flood water, to rescue an old "river rat" who "wasn't afraid of a little rain."

People who take unneccessary risks, and then expect others to risk thier necks to save them, really raise my blood pressure!!!

So, go. look. enjoy. It's a once in a lifetime thing.

But Don't Be Stupid !!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
GD, like everybody said, enjoy but be safe. I grew up in Chesapeake Beach, lived there fron 58 to 75 , things can happen fast and catch you. We lived on Lookout Rd right by the CBBT, during the Ash Wed storm the Bay overwashed the dunes into the lake, the lake rose 12' overnight. You could go from Lake Pleasure House to Lake Chubb on the Amphib base in a boat down Lauderdle Ave where the water was 5' deep. Another time durig the mid 60s a couple of my friends and I were going surfing during a storm at Chicks ( the snack bar which eyerybody trys to call the whole area) when a cop stopped us an tried to stop us from going in the water. While he's talking to us a gust of snaps a utility pole and sparks go flying. He just rolled the window up and drove off. So be careful, sometimes i wonder how I made it to 50!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow Its nice to know I am not the only one who loves to watch the hurricanes come in.I grew up in Buckroe Beach and love walking on the beach before the storm hits but there is nothing better than walking the beach after a big storm. You would be amazed at the stuff that washes up.It is Natures way of purging all the junk people throw overboard. Those of us that grew up on the water have a deep respect for it due to the fact we have seen the power of these storms before.(Remember Camille in 69)I am keeping my fingers crossed that Buckroe pier survives this one as it was there that I discovered my love of fishing .Better to hit now than next month when striper season starts to pick-up. My thoughts go out to everyone in Isabel's path.Be Safe and please BE Careful!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
The computer models

The meteorologist up here showed 5 computer
models predicting the storm path:
1 goes way south of DC
1 goes way north and east of DC
3 go up the Chesapeake Bay

Interestingly one predicted path I noticed
goes directly over Baltimore!

I think it will stay close to the bay somewhere