Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reports a little late in the making but here it goes. This was my first trek to the jetty. Temps on sat. were low 70's winds ssw at 10-20 mph. Which put the winds directly behind me while fishing the inlet. The mile and a half hike wasnt to bad with alll the gear for me and my son to fish. Sat. started out fast and furious choice of bait was cut mullet and cut pinfish on 2 hook bottom rig. First pole in the water at 12:30pm before we got the second pole in the water we had a nice black sea bass. I was a little shocked to catch a sea bass there but was happy with the catch. Shortly there after a 2nd sea bass appeared. Things then became very slow until 2pm when my son hooked up to a nice bull red drum. Unfortunately as I was making my way down the rocks the red pulled the line across the rocks ending my 14 yo sons first red. We reset all lines and waited, at 4pm all 4 poles started getting the smallest of taps. Turned out to be very nice 8-1/2" - 10" point to point blue crabs.( Which by the way became dinner yum) After that we made the long hike back before night fall.

Sunday. Got to the jetty by noon poles were in the water by 12:10. Not a bite by 2pm. Using cut mullet again. suddenly at 2:30pm all hell broke loose. First a large lizard fish. From 2:30 to 4:30 4 poles produced, 1 Lizard, 9 Blues, 3 Sand Perch, 5 Weakfish, 14 Toad Fish, 1 4ft Eel, and 2 Sea Bass. 2 large fish that fought hard were lost due to the rocks and not identified. From my experience one seemed to be a nice flounder and one a drum but who knows for sure. To put it mildly that 2 hours was very hechtic for me and my son but what a blast. All and all a good day.

Lessons learned from fishing the jetty........ First of all several people on the forum had some great advice for fishing the jetty so thank you. If your considereing fishing there my advice would be keep the poles high when retrieving a fish and checking bait. If reeling in just to check bait point pole high and reel fast to help avoid snags. Snags are abdundant, currents can be strong in certain areas and the fish seem to hold in these areas. I'm going to be venturing back out this weekend so a report will follow and maybe I can get some pics up with that report.

On a side note there is some nice oyster beds there does anyone know if harvesting is allowed there? For me and my son theres nothing better then shuckin oysters, a squeeze of lemon and down the hatch while soaking our lines. So if anyone knows the answer it would be appreciated.:D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Nice catch and sounded like a good time. I hate to be the one to tell you but, you ate a state record blue crab!! Naw - just BS You should have got a pic of that big sucker though. Hard to get one that big now. Might get one out:p of 40 that size. Good eats though. Good report.:p

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice catch and sounded like a good time. I hate to be the one to tell you but, you ate a state record blue crab!! Naw - just BS You should have got a pic of that big sucker though. Hard to get one that big now. Might get one out:p of 40 that size. Good eats though. Good report.:p
I actually have a pic of the 8-1/2 " on my phone. I'll have to see if I can put it on here.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
the crab should became bait............ especially in the location you were in, judging from that last pic that is.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Directions

ok when I venture down to the Huntington beach park and pay to get in which way to get out to the jetty ??? After parking in the lot.....
as I have been reading about it here and will definately get there
this next trip down. also want to try the Veterans pier I read about...:)

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
ok when I venture down to the Huntington beach park and pay to get in which way to get out to the jetty ??? After parking in the lot.....
as I have been reading about it here and will definately get there
this next trip down. also want to try the Veyerans pier I read about...:)
Turn left and get as close as you can to it, then when facing the beach walk left up it and you'll get there. There's a little brown sign with white writing IIRC pointing where stuff is where you turn left or right, it'll say Jetty and point left, turn there.

·
Registered
579 Posts
sounds great

when I google earth that location I see 2 sides to the Jetty so are there 2 sides maybe ???? thank you for your reply SmoothLures as well ....
I hope this time I get to catch me some fish......

also when you fish the Jetty with cut mullet you use a bottom weight with a bobber as well ?????

I ask as I only been doing this since last summer when I went to the pier
down there......but now I want to try surf and Jetty fishing as
well.....

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
black seabass need to be 12 inches(stae waters non commercial) to be kept, i never tried setting out hoops for crabs there(too bust doing other things). i see those weakfish are getting fatter. you guys seem to have had a nice trip. there are big red drums out there, but few ppl have been able to bring them in. i like using lures for bluefish since if u work them right they will not snag and one lure in a fishes mouth is less likely to snag than a hooked fish, sinker, and a trailing hook.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
sand perch are actually good eating like seabass by the way. oyster harvesting is not allowed in teh park but is allowed at the oyster recycling center near huntington beach state park

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
when I google earth that location I see 2 sides to the Jetty so are there 2 sides maybe ???? thank you for your reply SmoothLures as well ....
I hope this time I get to catch me some fish......

also when you fish the Jetty with cut mullet you use a bottom weight with a bobber as well ?????

I ask as I only been doing this since last summer when I went to the pier
down there......but now I want to try surf and Jetty fishing as
well.....
The other side of the jetty is difficult to get to and partial goes under water at high tide. You could get stuck out there. I used a bottom rig. a bobber would be difficult because of the currents.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
black seabass need to be 12 inches(stae waters non commercial) to be kept, i never tried setting out hoops for crabs there(too bust doing other things). i see those weakfish are getting fatter. you guys seem to have had a nice trip. there are big red drums out there, but few ppl have been able to bring them in. i like using lures for bluefish since if u work them right they will not snag and one lure in a fishes mouth is less likely to snag than a hooked fish, sinker, and a trailing hook.
Yeah I know the slot size on all the fish. That guy went back after the pic. The weakfish and some of the blues were kept. I'am going to set some crab traps down there and see how we do. We also had trouble with the bull red due to the rocks. I used some of my got-chas but didnt have success with them but the blues may have not been there at that time because we didnt get anything on the poles then. Thanks for the helpful info by the way.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
sand perch are actually good eating like seabass by the way. oyster harvesting is not allowed in teh park but is allowed at the oyster recycling center near huntington beach state park
Yeah I like sand perch to. The only problem was after I sent 3 back I decided maybe I should of held on to them. When I got one I thought ah its not much fish here but after three the light bulb finally went on.:D
Thanks for the info on the oysters I'll have to go to the recycle side to get some.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
By the way, does anyone know how to contact a ranger there? I seen a guy take a bull red that was defiantely over slot. After a brief education session with this gentlemen, he was not impressed by me, he stringered it and off he went. It pissed me off. So if anyone knows how to contact a ranger there for next time I would appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts