Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be staying at Huntington beach for a week starting May 11 planing on fishing the jetty a bit and maybe from the surf.My wife fishes with me some but can't go out on a jetty that is natural rocks and was wondering if the jetty has a walkway on top.Have about any equipment that is used for surf fishing but wondering if I should bring a light shark rig 6/0?Any tips on bait and what may be around about then would be appreciated.
Jake

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
korkers would help(i dont wear them though). tennis shoes are a must(better have decent grip too). i dont know whether it is worth sharking there(dotn see much big sharks). u have to take a 1.4 mile walk to the jetty so pack light as possible. bait this time of the year woudl be really difficult to find(glass minnows, possibly bunker, but bunker/menhaden are usually out of cast net range).
surf rods and reels are great. bait, mullet owrks best.

lures(if fish are actively feeding on glass minnows, lures work a lot better):
sting isvlers, got-cha plugs, hopkins, krocodile spoons

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies,probably should gt some Korkers since I fish rocks a lot.Looks like I will be fishing without the wife when fishing from the jetty.Any ladyfish, pinfish or other to catch for bait with rod and reel.I have good luck with them in Florida.How about swimbaits and jigs?
Jake

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
it may be a bit early for pinfish to be present. and pinfish have a tendacy to school and travel around(u may constantly have these guys bothering ur bait for 2 hrs, and then they are gone). cut bait on the bottom will quickly tell u whether pinfish are present. i have never caught a ladyfish from the jetties(but they are probably around in the summer). jig ought to work(if u can get small ones that imitate glass minows in profile, u may catch loads of fish). i woulndn't bother with swimbaits 5 inch and larger(bluefish and Spanish cut the tails off).
if u fish for sheepshead u found the a perfect place(im not sure whether they are around this early, but they should start showing up. fiddler crabs can be caught in the marsh area near the western end of te jetty(inland).if u do catch some pinfish, try cutting them up and bottom fishing at the deep end. u could possibly get a red.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help.Is there any pompano or anything else in the surf worth fishing for?Sounds like the jetty will be too rough for my wife and myself healing from surgery probably shouldn't fish it too much myself.I tend to take too much equipment a lot of times.My limit my equipment to a couple 8' bait rods,11' rod for casting lures and a couple small outfits for catching bait.
Jake

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.