Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved to NJ in Jan. Pulled in a 31" rock last night on the Hudson River &
was advised not to eat it. Did a little water research on my own and it
doesn't look good. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Agreed, I'm not sure what the recommendation is for Hudson River caught fish, but not worth the chance. There is still lots of toxic waste burried under silt in the lower Hudson.

The notice on Raritan Bay, as far as I know, is to eat fish caught there no more than once per month. I've eaten fish from the Raritan probably a half dozen times. I don't make a habit if of it, but I've never gotten sick and I don't glow in the dark.

My late Father in Law (Now he was a Fisherman!!) would fish from the seawall in Gravesend Bay - along the belt parkway just to the east of the Verrazano Br - and if he caught it, he ate it (he was an old timer from the tiny Italian island of Lampedusa). He lived to be 83!

I dropped him off on my way to work one morning around 6:30 AM. He was home by 9:30 with a bucket full of porgie - his favorite fish! He ate porgy every day for a week with no ill effects.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Guys, don't you know that 80-90 percent of the bass you get from the long island and jersey shore are from the Hudson? The Hudson is one of two main breeding grounds on the east coast and chances are you have already eaten these fish. We have a member that has been eating the bass from the Hudson his whole life and he is now 93.

And, it has got a lot better in quality. A LOT! To learn more, go to www.hrfa.us

Carl Hartmann
VP Hudson River Fishermen's Association

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.