Pier and Surf Forum banner

Hudson River Fish-In

4K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  cfishigotu 
#1 ·
Greetings All!

Looks like Castle Point/Sinatra Park in Hoboken NJ will be the site of the Pier and Surf Hudson River Fish-In. I still want to check out other locations, but this seems to be the frontrunner. There is a good description of the site on The Hudson River Fishermen's Association, New Jersey Chapter at:

http://www.hrfanj.org/

Click on Access on the left hand side to reach the Access Page. Scroll down to "New Fishing Pier...Hoboken!", then click on For more on this story click here! Castle Point at the end of the 11/01/01 entry.

David (cocoflea) and I are still interested in alternative sites and any feedback that local anglers may have. I will be visiting the area in two weeks and will check with local bait and tackle shops. We hope to have the site finalized by March 1st and the date finalized by March 15th. I have also emailed the HRFANJ to see what they recomend.

Hoping to see as many P&S members as possible....

#27 ·
Greetings davehunt!

Yeah, I've included the link in a couple of spots on the NJ and NY/CT boards. I've been watching the HRFA/NJ reports, but so far nothing has been caught except a few rat stripers on bloodies. I'm thinking April 10th or 17th for the Fish-In, which should give the big stripers plenty of time to come up the river. This might interfere with freshwater trout opening days, but you have to have priorities. The 10th-11th is Easter weekend, which might be a problem, too. But I think April 03rd will be too early (given the current weather/water conditions), and the 24th - 25th too late. Besides, by the last week of April striped bass fishing will be in full swing on the Chesapeake, and it will be harder to lure those Southern Boyz above the Mason-Dixon line.

Any and all input is appreciated....

#28 · (Edited)
Jake

I fish those spots on the D and also many on the Joisey side, there are some nice flats that should be getting my attention in about 2 - 3 weeks. The airport will be getting good too real soon. The road is complete from UPS to Essington now, there is a good mile and a half of river access there now.

I would love to fish the Schuylkill there by the museum, is there shoreline access other than the wall at the Water Works?

#32 ·
Greetings davehunt!

When we finalize the site, we're going to try to give options on dates. The problem with fishing the "run" is that if you miss it, you're stuck with the resident schoolies. David and I want to maximize everybody's odds of hooking a cow. That's the logic behind a two day event, too. If a member can't make it Saturday, there's still Sunday. And the "warriors" will be able to do their marathon thing....

We should be voting on the dates by March 15th....

#33 ·
Greetings Sgt_Slough and plove53!

That's the bad part about fishing the Art Museum (Fairmount Dam) -- parking! The best fishing is on the West River Drive side (opposite bank of the Art Museum.) There use to be a big parking area right near the Spring Garden Street Bridge, but the city chained it off because of @#$%&* roofers dumping at the back of the lot.

There is room for one or two vehicles in front of the chain -- after that, you can park in Eakin's Oval in front of the Art Museum (the "Rocky" steps) and tote your gear across the Spring Garden bridge and up to the dam. There are a few spots for access before reaching the dam for the young (and young at heart) if you don't mind vertical walking.

The good part about the fishing is that the cows are an easy cast away. The tough part is the sharp rocks.... Biggest fish reported last year was 44 inches (its all catch and release, and PA Delaware River estuary rules apply.) Bucktails with plastic worms or sassy shads, big plugs, and live "pike" shiners all work, but bloodies are the preferred bait. Catfish and white perch like the worms a little too much. Gizzard shad and herring chunks work too. A livelined herring should work wonders, but the current tends to wash them back toward shore. Theres about a four foot difference in tides.

#35 ·
Greetings Sgt_Slough!

I forgot about the "mini-season" -- From the Pennsylvania state line to Trenton Falls March 1 through March 31. I usually think about the regular season (June 1 through December 31 and from Trenton Falls upstream open year-round.)

That's a damn nice fish for this time of year! I wonder if it was a "holdover" fish (seems kind of early for the sea run stripers.) Every year for whatever reason about 10 percent of the big fish stay in the river instead of retuning to the ocean (maybe they follow the shad?) Some have traveled up as far as the Delaware Water Gap.

There's no reports on Brinkman's web site for this year -- where did you find out about the fish?

#36 · (Edited)
Bill told me, I wish I had seen the fish, to see it's coloration.

Brinkies still has reports . . .

http://members.aol.com/wormpeople/reports.htm

The club has casting practice this morning . . brrrr, after that I don't know what I am gonna do. I've got 3 doz bloods, will travel! Thinking about a little town at the end of the road on the edge of the Del. Bay. NJ DNR has netted a few hundred stripers in the past couple days down there. They are around; question is, will they bite?

Edited 9:00pm Saturday:

Did go down for the top of the tide, wind was holwing, water looked like chocolate milk. My bud, first cast got a 26 incher. I didn't get a bite.

#37 ·
Greetings Sgt_Slough!

Yeah, water temps are still r-e-a-l cold... The cats we caught last week felt like they'd been on ice! Its weird that low water temps effect sea run fish, but landlocked stripers at Kinzua and Raystown hit through the ice....

I guess I should have said Brinkie's doesn't have any new reports (there last report is from July 03...) The pics from last year show some nice stripers that look like they may have been caught from the bank (or the boat angler's took the pics at the ramp.) In the one pic there are no leaves on the trees, so that must have been an early (or late?) fish.

I'm going to North Jersey to check out Sinatra Park for the Fish-In, then I'll stop at Shark River Inlet on the way back for winter flatties (if I can find room to fish!) The weather report for Sunday is too nice....

#39 ·
Brinkies still has reports . . .

This one is dated March 12, 2004

http://members.aol.com/wormpeople/reports.htm

• "Well things are starting to look up in the lower Delaware river for stripers. I just had a customer with a 25 pound, 40 inch fish taken at Bristol off the shore line. He also had a buddy that caught a 34 inch fish on Wednesday this past week. Both these fish were taken on bloodworms. I still have not heard of any fish at Station Avenue or Linden Avenue as of yet. But they are still catching a few fish at the Frankford Arsenal. Over all I think they have taken between 6 and 10 fish all under 24 inches so far. And again all were taken on bloodworms. Another customer was out in a boat around the Tacony Bridge and picked up 4 fish 15 to 22 inches this past Thursday. He also had several catfish all taken on bloodworms and clams. And several guys have been fishing the art museum and have picked up 6 fish, only one over 30 inches. The rest were throw backs. These fish are hitting 4 to 6 inch sassy shads, 6 and 8 inch twister tails and 6 inch Bomber Long A's. Now for the best fishing has been down river around the Commodore Barry Bridge to Pennsbury. Here there have been several keeper fish taken. One customer was down last weekend and he boated 4 keeper size fish and another 10 throw backs. One other customer fished the jettie at the Delaware Memorial Bridge and has 9 fish with one 36 and another 34 inch fish with the rest under 24 inches. All these fish are being taken on bloodworms, clams and herring. So all this is good news and it should just get better and better each warm and sunny day."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.