Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year bowhunting, and I haven't seen many deer so far. I did manage to catch up with a little button at last light Saturday night-my first bow kill. I'm getting a little more choosy now, looking for a nice buck.

How about y'all?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
8pt about 14" wide on opening day in NC, was with 2 does....

seen nothing but small bucks ever since, but have some pics of larger deer hoping to come out in the day time in the next few weeks

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
So far

Lets see. I have been hunting 3 times. No deer the first time. The 2nd time I saw 2 doe and did not shoot. 3rd time I shot a doe right at dark. I have not been back since. That was in September. I did not bow hunt my lease in Chatham County. I just bowhunt behind my house.

I have been getting ready for muzzleloading coming up on November 8th. I had to go down this past weekend to cut some roads out so I would not scratch up my truck any worse than it is now. Those old logging roads grow up in the Spring and Summer.

I am all but ready. All that is left is to shoot my smoke pole to make sure it is sighted in.

I have my eye on several good bucks. It is all just a matter of time.

Darin

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've hunted four times since bow opened. Saw deer each time. Last week about 11, I started to get out of my stand. Saw deer moving about 50 yards away, so I waited to see if they'd get closer. The six or seven inch spike walked into one of my lanes and bedded down about seven yards away! I've chosen not to shoot small bucks anymore, so I was trapped in the stand for over two hours while the youngster slept, woke, sneeezed several times, scratched his nose with his hind hoof, sneezed some more, etc. The eight point he was with was bedded up hill about forty yards behind some thick brush, so no shot. Trying to sneak a leak behind the camo around my stand without spooking them was a challenge. Too much morning coffee. Finally he got up and walked away. Experiences like that are to me as much fun as anything in the overall hunt. I've seen that outside the ears 8 three times now close enough for a gun shot. I swear the big boys have bow range radar! Happy hunting.

·
Registered
135 Posts
THis past sunday am, shot a 9 pointer with 18" inside spread. Dressed 197 pounds....was a nice deer. We've been letting the smaller ones walk for the past 3 years now, and it seems to be paying off.....now its time to shoot some does and fill the freezers.

·
Registered
888 Posts
WOW perchnut thats one nice buck!! congrads! Last week I pulled back on a real nice 8 probably 16" inside spread or so, had to shoot thru a hole, arrow deflected just a hair but it was enough to send it too low missed completely under..Seeing lots of buck sign recently here in va beach, weather is getting good too..love this time of year.......geo

·
Registered
281 Posts
My son got his first deer about two weeks ago. A fat cowhorn. He got two hogs about a week before that. He's got a horseshoe!! He had a smile the size of one too!! I got a fat doe last week. Big 10 pt put the shnitz on me same morning. Seeing plenty of deer. Going down Dorchester Cty/Edisto R with the gang for a 4 day hunt starting this Sat. Hope to pop some caps and sling some arrows. For sure plan to finish packing the freezer. Looking good so far.:beer::D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Been out about 4 times...finally took TWO does last week. My first deer ever. Went out saturday looking for a buck, but didn't see anything. Gonna try again Thursday if the weather holds out.

·
Registered
320 Posts
got a doe 2 saturdays ago and a five point this past sat, also saw a BIG buck saturday chasing a doe could not get a shot probaly 150-160 class buck

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
chasing does

They always look bigger when they are chasing.I would have sworn the one I shot was a 140" class till I got to him.He green scored 107" still a nice one however.You can see pic under smoke tube.

·
Registered
320 Posts
this one was 150-160 class it was 60 yards from me for about 10-15 minutes and i had the binoculars on him standing still just could get a clean body shot so didnt take a chance at enjuring him

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
So Far

My 10 year old son shot a 3 point on Saturday morning. I shot a really nice buck on Saturday morning but could not find him.

I drilled a big doe on Monday morning. I shot another doe last evening behind my house.

I have not seen a shooter buck except the one I shot on Saturday morning. I think they are traveling at night and in the middle of the day.

Darin

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I just shot a 140 lb buck with 2" spikes. Both were broken off the same length. Should have been a 4-6 pointer, but I was meat hunting. I'll post pics when the batteries get done charging. My first of the year, shot him walking to my stand at 9:35, shot at 9:41 AM.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I just shot a 140 lb buck with 2" spikes. Both were broken off the same length. Should have been a 4-6 pointer, but I was meat hunting. I'll post pics when the batteries get done charging. My first of the year, shot him walking to my stand at 9:35, shot at 9:41 AM.
Picture. Never seen one with both broken off the same length.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I got 2 does last friday and 2 does saturday morning from the same stand. Ahh the 270 love that gun. brings total to 6 for the year.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I hear ya billy J I have a 700 moutain rifle in 270 and i have gotten 5 so far this year with it one a deacent 8 all of which have been anchored on the spot

1 - 20 of 41 Posts