Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to fish off the pier at sandbridge but have no idea how to set up my pole. Do i just have a weight and a hook, where do i and how do i tie the weight on the line. what size hook and weights. Im very new to fishing and have never fished off a pier. I have only ever fished for bass in back bay. If you could use easy terms and pictures or links would be great thank you. if you could please explain it all i have the 17lb line but thats it. thank you very much.

·
Registered
74 Posts
tackle

Croakers usually start biting first here in the spring. Go to wally world and get a couple bottom rigs. They will be hanging from the top shelf. A pack of #4 snelled hooks and some #2 sinkers, "I use #1's alot". Then go to a grocery store and get some cheap hotdogs or 1/4 lb. of shrimp for cheap bait. Bottom rigs have a clip at the end to attach your weight, and a swivel at the top to tie your line to. Putting the hooks on is easy but had too much:beer:to get into that now!!!!!!!!
Google fishing knots- that important!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what i have now

I have a 2/0 hook tied about a foot away from a 4 oz weight will this work. i didnt get anything special i just got the hook and weights and tied them on. it looks like what everyone else is using.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
imo 2/0 is a bit large for croaker(not saying, u won't hook them but u are going to get the bait stolen by smaller fish). learn how to snell hooks, tie rigs. get some 20 pound test line or leader line and tie rigs using dropper loops and a sinker at the end.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The next time your out fishing, take a few mis to BS with the other anglers out there. This time of year if you have anyone else fishing in the area chances are things will be slow and you'll end up doing more of :beer: than :fishing:. Don't be shy and just tell people that you are a complete newby. Fisherman love to tell others how they do it and you can make some good friends in the process. Your gonna get some good info here but with the lack of pictures and if you don't know the lingo yet it may be difficult at first. But keep at it and when the wx breaks and things start biting you'll be just fine.

Ben

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
one thing you can do to save money is make your own bottom rigs.

Take a piece of heavier line (if you have some for shock leaders) tie a overhand not at one end ( for the sinker) then tie one or two dropper loops (for the hooks)..

You attach the free end to your line (swivel will keep it from twisting) and loop on the sinkers at the end. This way you can us any sinker and are not limited to those that have the swivels in them (the big ones wont fit on the snaps on pre made bottom rigs)... the hooks can be looped on if using pre snelled hooks just loop through or if using single hooks they can be fed throught the dropper loops.

All the knots are easy. But start slow and work your way up to what you are comfortable with.

Good Luck.>The bible has lots of knots and rigs.

Jeff

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sabiki rigs with fishbites veary small pieces mabe 1 cm squares of bloodworm thats all i use. Once you see the sabiki rig and how small the hooks are youll be suppries how many different kind of fish you can catch with um. I usem all spring, summer, and fall once winter hits cannt catch anything with um.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.