Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can i keep the bail on my daiwa emblem from closing during casting, i been loosing a lot of lures because of this, doesnt happen all the time, only once in a while, any ideas ??
thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Airnuts,

Had same issue with my Penn. Reccomendation was to change it to a manual bail. Not sure if a kit is available for the Diawa...?

My alternative was;
With the bail vertical..place your middle finger on the bail or pivot point..keeping the bail open manually...this leaves your index finger free for holding the line. This system has worked excellent for me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will try that, what if i remove the bail for good and just placed the line over the roller after casting ??

·
Registered
130 Posts
Airnuts,

One other method I forgot to mention.(the first was mainly for casting lures or light weight&bait)

For casting with heavier weight...take a length of string and double it over the pivot point of the bail..run this line back to the butt of the rod..place this under your hand to hold the bail open.

This method takes a little more time to set up, but it also works...

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Had one that wouldn't stay open during casting, but happened to have a rubber band with me and hooked under reel, through bailer, and back down to reel. Quick and easy, and it worked for me. After that though, bought a new reel, but sure it would work as long as the reel is working.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts