Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big Ups 2 all the Fishing Massives,

How do you used or what is the proper way of using Peelers? Do you used the claw meat or inside shell? or if it's small enough you hook the whole thing? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, but I never really used peeler and it sounds like some good bait for fishing. So hit me with some advice.

Thanks

D

·
Registered
399 Posts
THE BEST WAY IS CUT OFF THE APRON IF ITS A FEMALE (1 BAIT), TAKE OFF THE HARD SHELL TO EXPOSE THE SOFT TOP SHELL CUT IT IN HALF (2 MORE BAITS), EACH CLAW CAN BE CUT IN HALF IN EMERGENCIES (4 MORE), THEN CUT THE MAIN PORTION IN HALF DOWN THE MIDDLE, SEPERATE THEN CUT DOUBLE LEG JOINTS (4 MORE), YOU WILL HAVE 2 SINGLE LEG JOINTS WITH THE MOUTH ATTACHED LEFT OVER (2 MORE). YOU CAN GET A GOOD 13 BAITS IF YOU HAVE A GOOD KNIFE AND BIG ENOUGH "RIPE" CRAB.\

\\HOPE THIS HELPS

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Hooking crabs

I usually hook hard crabs through one of the legs and out the bottom shell. That is when I use them whole and cut in half or fourths. A little secret I learned is when using them whole step on em and give them a little crunch (yeah i know that is mean for all you treehuggers out there;) ) and that way some of the juices flow out and it has been very productive for me:D . Now peelers I usually hook whole too b/c I have only used the smaller ones for striper and I hook in the same manner as hard ones. Just make sure you get a lot of the hook in em or you'll end up casting em off. Oh yeah also I use circle hooks on em!

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Nice

Nice instructions gwaud! I didn't know I could get that much bait off of em. I will try that next time. I am usually going for the bigguns so i don't use small bait.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I've actually taken to using hard crabs in their place. They stay on the hook better and cost less.

You basically remove the apron and top shell, snap the legs just above the last joint that goes into the shell, and take a strong knife and chop the lump meat into segments with one leg joint per piece.

You thread the hook through the leg joint to keep it on and toss it out. Like candy to drum, big croaker and trout.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I basically use gwaud's method . I don't use a knife to cut them though. The best bet is to use a pair of kitchen shears to make the cuts. Even pressure on both sides of the shell makes for a much cleaner cut and less waste. Neat baits stay on the hook better and look nicer to the fishies.

DFishMon,

I like the intro. It made me look at your profile and I see you are into music. What do you listen to? Ska? Dub? Maybe you're a Drum and Bass fan like me.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I use 2 methods;1(Take off the apron and top shell and cut it into 8ths or quarters w/the bigger claws broken off for Croaker,Stripers,and Sea Trout.2(cut in half to use for Drum or big fish;Croakers won't mess with half a crab.Number 1 is more cost effiecent and its probily like or simmilar to whats mentioned above.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Massives,

Thanks for all the good tips, that why I became a supporter a couple of weeks ago. More knowledge, more power, Seeen! :)

Thanks and Big Ups again.

Hey Duke,

I'm really into the Reggae vibes, it's great and positive music, and when I'm fishing, I feel like I'm in the carribean. Makes Fishing even better.

Thanks agains Massives!! and Jah Guidance!

·
Registered
565 Posts
DFishMon
Reggae,ska, drum and bass...lots of influence on each other. I listen to all of the above, I just can't get with Rastafariansim though. I had dreads for many years though, my wife made me cut them off. Something about looking my age :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts