Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to MB Saturday, and fishing the surf for whatever bites. If by chance I catch a shark, what's the best way to return it to the water?
I've only caught small ones from piers, and those you just drop back in. But what do you do with a shark that is 4 or 5 ft long?
Do you just cut the line, or do you actually bring it in up on to the beach to get the hook out (?!) And I've seen some videos of guys dragging the shark by the tail back into the water. I kind of like all my pieces and parts intact, if you know what I mean.... Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
618 Posts
There is a picture I have seen somewhere of a girl sitting on the back of a shark and pulling his nose up.
There is another picture of the same girl with the same bikini top on in a hospital bed with a huge bite out of her leg.
I'm no big shark guy but the little ones come around really fast.
I think the thing is if you got his tail somebody needs to have ahold of his head/leader. Or you need to be able to get out of the way. Sort of like roping a calf one in front and one behind.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If by chance you do hook a 4-5 ft shark in Horry County, it would be cheaper to just cut your line. Especially if you are afraid of being tagged. The shorter the shark, the more flexable they are. Just because you have it's tail doesnt mean he still can't get you. If you are just fishing the surf for flounder, reds etc. chances are you're not really using a heavier rig (unless you're targeting bull reds) odds are you won't see a 4-5ft shark. Also, if your tackle isnt set up for 4-5 ft sharks, you won't have to worry at all. (they will break your tackle or your line).

·
Registered
594 Posts
Smaller sharks can be REALLY nimble, especially green. Larger sharks (say 7') tend to be heavier and cannot move as well.
Chances are you won't be able to land a 5-6' one though unless you are targeting them. Then you run into trouble in MB anyways.
If you do catch and land one, pull them back in by the tail, spin them around and position yourself just behind the pec fins, keeping hold of the fin and tail. Give them a big push seaward while timing the waves.
Oh, and don't pick them up for pics or do dumb things like sit on them and hold their mouth open. (I saw that chick pic). Picking them up can damage internal organs, as they are not meant to support them outside of water.
Cutting the line is easiest though, and chances are he will help you with that before you ever see him.

·
Registered
231 Posts
From Horry county

"Shark fishing from any pier, the beach and shore is prohibited. •At the time of recognition, fishermen must release sharks and any other dangerous marine animals"

if you are fishing in Horry county
and you see a shark coming in best to just cut the line.
Call it long line release.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you hook a big one in the surf or pier, 90% of the time they will cut your leader unless you hook them perfectly in the corner of the mouth. If you manage to keep one hooked I would bring him as close as possible without bringing him on the beach and just cut the line.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses... I think I'll err on the side of common sense, and just cut the line.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You don't need to cut the line and let a fish swim away with 30+yards of mono or braid attached to it. That is just more chances of that getting tangled up on something. Put a glove on, make a few wraps around your hand and yank as hard as you can when you get some tension on the line, chances are you will pop it off at the leader or swivel. If you don't want to use your hands tighten your drag all the way up point the tip of your rod at the fish then just yank backwards or start walking backwards, it will have the same effect. That way you don't lose as much line and the fish don't have as much following behind him till the hook rusts out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
And the pictures you are talking about with the girl in the black bikini on the back of a shark and then in the hospital bed are 2 different people. The girl in the hospital bed got bit by a bull shark while tubing in Florida. The other girl is in another country sitting on a dead shark that washed up on the beach. I have seen the same 2 pics on many different websites and stories trying to claim she was bit just after the picture was taken. I think they are just to scare people away from getting near sharks, especially if they do not know how to properly handle them. Just another case of don't believe everything you see and hear on the internet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts