Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just mentioned my fishing trip at SPSP yesterday, but I did not mention that when I got ready to go home, one of my rods got snagged:mad::mad: I was fishing the beach between the point and bathhouse. To make sure that we are all agreeing to the definition of the point, and that the point is the small jetty by the launching ramp for small boats. I am wondering about the beach between two other jetties north of the point. Are there snags? Is the fishing any good? Share your experiences with me and others. I have been tired from snags for years :eek:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lures would work only if I am not using bait on the bottom.

Structure is a good argument which I cannot win.

"HIgh and fast" and "lead lifts" will not work after bait lying on the bottom and rolling with the current get stuck in SPSP sunken ship lumber.

·
Registered
388 Posts
when I fish there I reel the bait in fast when I decide to bring it in, plus you need a sinker heavy enough so it don't roll around. sometimes you will still get a snag, that's part of fishing

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zam,

Yes, but what if after you make the cast, the rig settles down into the wrecked ship, and then you find out later when you try to reel in your struck rig. Also, I have caught big fish which went down and get themselves stuck around the rotten lumber.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are all missing my point including me. You were analyzing the reasons for my snags, and I was defending myself.

I said that I was tired of my snags, and I was asking you if fishing was any good on the beach between the two jetties north of "The Point". I was asking you if you had any experiences fishing there, and whether or not the fishing was any good, and whether or not there were snags. (SMILE)

My title "How to Avoid SPSP Snags?" was misleading. I apologize for that.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
The best thing to do is to fish the water between the two jetties north of "The Point" and find out 1st hand.:D Personally I wouldn't waste my time there.;)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
The areas north of the point are pretty shallow. I fished it a few times in years past and got skunked.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I used to fish the park a lot when I was going to the community college in the early 70's. I grew up in Severna Park. Fished there sometimes later in life too, but spent more time other places because I spent more time fly fishing from a boat. From shore, fly fishing just wasn't too productive there.

As Big Rad said that area on the east side is very shallow. I used to fish it in the summer when I wanted small spot for bait, or sometimes would catch small white perch, but don't remember ever catching much of any size there. Of course back then, we didn't catch catfish very often at the park either. If the tide is right that area might produce cats if you're interested in catching them.

I actually had the most success on the south beach, about midway. I believe there's a sign there that separates the swimming section of the beach from the fishing section. I liked to fish right where that sign was unless there was a lot of people already there. Not many snags there either. But, most of my fishing there was in warmer months, July & August usually and during the week when less folks were there swimming. Not sure about that area this time of year.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You are all missing my point including me. You were analyzing the reasons for my snags, and I was defending myself.

I said that I was tired of my snags, and I was asking you if fishing was any good on the beach between the two jetties north of "The Point". I was asking you if you had any experiences fishing there, and whether or not the fishing was any good, and whether or not there were snags. (SMILE)

My title "How to Avoid SPSP Snags?" was misleading. I apologize for that.
yeah, I originally only read your title, I didn't read your post until after I posted, I never fished between the jetty's before

1 - 14 of 14 Posts