Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda feel stupid asking but... I spooled a 704z with 20lb mono today. Used my fingers above them eel for tension. The way the spool is designed at full capacity there is basically 1" thick of mono. It has a mushy feel to it. Is it not spooled tight enough? I haven't spool that much braid on a reel in a really long time. Always braid on spinners. Put mono on this spool for piers. The other spool has 20lb FireLine

·
Registered
893 Posts
Mono is usually tight enough, but some braided line does not pack tight enough. That is one reason why I prefer mono. I am sure that braided line has improved since then. I am sure that you will get more comments (SMILE). Let us all get along and not get nasty or bickering!

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Mono is usually tight enough, but some braided line does not pack tight enough. That is one reason why I prefer mono. I am sure that braided line has improved since then.
I'm also a "Mono Guy" . . . I've tried Braid and it's just "not for me".

I don't like the way it "feels", the way it "slices" skin, the way it "packs" onto reels, the way it "digs into itself", the way it "costs" . . . ETC.

Did I mention that I don't like Braid ? LOL !

BTW - Mono should be packed on tightly !

Tight Lines

·
Registered
185 Posts
mono should be solid, sounds like you need more tension on the line when spooling. Also with braid try soaking it in water over night then spool under a good amount of tension.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Spool tight at first but i imagine your cast, retrieve, lure weight will determine tightness after that.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yup, running it thru pinched fingers outta be fine..a little tension goes a long way ��

1 - 9 of 9 Posts