Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what it's called, but I want to have a live finger mullet or something more or less straight down/tossed out a few yards to be out of the way while I jig for Spanish off of a pier this coming September. Mainly to target larger Spanish, maybe a blue or whatever swims by.

The main problem I see is the pier I go to doesn't allow king fishing/pin rigging. I'm not sure if a sized down version of the float rigs people used to use for kings would count or not. So is there another way to do this without the float?

Second, what kind of rig do I use? I'm thinking a treble hook or two on a #30 flouro leader...Spanish are leader shy but will the bigger ones cut right through 30 lb flouro? Would it be better to use a light wire to have a chance of landing him versus just getting cut off?

Last is how to secure the rod... I'll let that sit while vertically jigging but I'd imagine that a nice fish would have a good chance of pulling it over the rail before I could get the jigging rod up and grab the big one. There aren't any rod holders along the sides of the pier, there are on the T but you usually don't jig off the T.... Maybe a bungee cord or something?

Anyway I'd appreciate any help. Thanks guys.

:fishing:

·
Registered
633 Posts
I dont blue/king fish or anything but personally i dont use live bait on any salt fish without a wire/cable leader, its just me, id rather not get hit that get popped off, or maybe its just of the species i go for...hhmmm. anyway i were you if for blues a nice 30 lb singlestrand wire leader should suffice if for kings 70 lb singlestrand cable, i believe NTKG has a 101 on king rigs but since they dont allow pin rigs then just look at the stuff he uses, but no matter what for kings use a stinger rig, best rig there is you could also hang that from a float like you said,luck!

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Is there another way without the float rig, though? I'll reel it up if they ask, but I'd like to have a backup/avoid that before it happens.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I use a short 6" single stand 28# leader, haywired to a # 6 or #4 4X treble. Stick this in the nose of a finger mullet.
Add a casting float if you want or just free line it .
I fish this rig off my 10' spanish rod in the surf and a 7' spinner on the pier.

I would rather keep this rod in my hands, but if you must jig then tie it to the pier..lol

·
Registered
232 Posts
I use a short 6" single stand 28# leader, haywired to a # 6 or #4 4X treble. Stick this in the nose of a finger mullet.
Add a casting float if you want or just free line it .
I fish this rig off my 10' spanish rod in the surf and a 7' spinner on the pier.

I would rather keep this rod in my hands, but if you must jig then tie it to the pier..lol
ditto on that but just keep the drag loose and the clicker on if you dont want it going over

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could you describe how to freeline?

I figured out how I'm gonna secure the rod, so that won't be a problem. The pier has benches that won't budge, so I'm gonna set it up under one, there's no way it can take a dive.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I don't know but maybe you can drop or cast your live bait out a few feet without weight and let it swim around....maybe add a few split shots above it...(just a thought):fishing:

·
Registered
369 Posts
3' of wire, barrel on one end, treble on the other. Run your line through the barrel and attach sinker...
Hook small live bait in the back.
Drop weight to bottom and the bait will swim around your line in circles on the sirface.
Just drop it down beside the pier.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use about a 4/0 4x treble on a 6 " length single strand wire, attach the hook to the wire by haywire, then barrel 3-4x, attach the wire to the line with albright. I just let the bait hang by the side of the pier about a foot or so under the water, if there are spanish around they'll find it. (make sure to use 4x even with spanish, i've had some 2x hooks mangled by the little buggers)

·
Registered
369 Posts
"Quote Smoothlures: "Last is how to secure the rod... I'll let that sit while vertically jigging but I'd imagine that a nice fish would have a good chance of pulling it over the rail before I could get the jigging rod up and grab the big one. There aren't any rod holders along the sides of the pier, there are on the T but you usually don't jig off the T.... Maybe a bungee cord or something? "

Dont worry about it, just keep a light drag.
With the (what I call a spanish rig) you have a little more reaction time because the lead and barrel must come together.
Another advantage is that you can drop the bait down and walk away.
The bait will stay in a well defined small area kicking around scared to death without bothering anyone.
Good luck..

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks puppy mullet I think I'll try that. It's pretty much a float rig without the float, right?
One thing, would the treble, wire, and swivel be too heavy for a finger mullet to hold up? And how big of a bait should I try to use?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks puppy mullet I think I'll try that. It's pretty much a float rig without the float, right?
One thing, would the treble, wire, and swivel be too heavy for a finger mullet to hold up? And how big of a bait should I try to use?
No float
Weight of hook not a problem at all.
If you cast it a ways, he will dance on top even more due to the angle of the line.
Any 4or 5 inch bait you can get your hands on.

If bait is plentiful, hook him towards the tail so he struggles to the surface...
If bait is scarce, hook him more forward so he stays down and reserves his strength.
Use braid for him to swing around on if you got it.

Lordy I need to get off this puter an get to the ocean.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna start making a few of those rigs up.

One more thing, what test wire do you use?

I can't wait to get out and fish either. Only another month. Maybe less.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I dont know wire sizes, but you want a nice thin one.
ps.. If a King or Cobia takes a poke at this rig, all bets are off.
:eek:

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol I bet so. But I'm gonna use a nice heavy rod with a loaded spinning reel, ~450 yards of 15 lb BBG, so hopefully I'll have a chance. If not, at least the screaming drag will get the blood pumping. :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
"450 yards of 15 lb BBG, so hopefully I'll have a chance."

A length of braid connected with an Alberto's knot wouldn't hurt.
Just enough lead to bounce bottom. 2oz or so.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts