Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what others experience tells them about when you are wasting your time fishing from the surf or if certain fish prefer a rough surf. Checking how rough the conditions are is much easier nowadays when you have surf cams (up to the minute) and sites that not only tell you the speed of the wind and waves but also their direction. To give you an example here is a link to the Jensen Beach camera and the up to date report of wind and waves. So what can the experts tell me about rough surf....worth it or not?

http://www.evsmartin.com/ (beach cam at Jensen Beach)
http://www.buoyweather.com/wxnav6.j...atitude=27.25&longitude=-80.0&zone=-4&units=e (Wind, wave and tide report for PSL)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yesterday on Jensen Beach was too rough.

The surf wasn't too bad and there were fish in the area, but the current was so bad I couldn't get 4oz pyramids to hold. They were halfway down the beach before I got back to the rod holder.

In my experience, on that beach, that's too rough. If four ounces won't hold the fish probably aren't biting within casting distance.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Try using a Spider weight. With a rough surf this time of year the Reds and Black Drum will be feeding on the inside in the first trough. No need for the long poles. Fresh Shrimp or Fresh Clams will work. Fish a short lead F/F Rig,and hold your rod to feel the bite.:fishing::beer:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have spider weights. It wasn't a matter of being able to hold.

I have fished in much taller waves with less current and caught fish on nearly every cast.

My point was simply that when the current is that fast the fishing sucks, so it's time to bag it and do something else.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If 4oz sputnik does not hold, then it's time to pack and go home. I love that 3 and 4 oz sputnik, just a little pricey ($5/ each).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts