Pier and Surf Forum banner

How many Surf Fishing Rods do you Have?

6K views 61 replies 39 participants last post by  fish4kings104 
#1 ·
I am a bit of a tackle nut. About 40 Surf Rods. Does that sound like too much?

#2 ·
Geeze, and my wife thinks I am crazy and I only have six (a seventh will be born shortly). ;)

Have Jeep will travel. :D

By the way Wilber, AI really is beautiful February and March, just a tad chilly. If Crabboy hadn't made his whimp comment about "cold weather" fishing and outfishing me 40 - 1, and anyone can catch a striper (basically saying it AIn't real fishing)personally I'd only drive the beach that time of year, stop and make a couple of casts maybe, but look and learn mostly.

#8 ·
Glad ya didn't ask how many I've bought in my feeshn' career. I have six primary,a backup for each and 4 ol'treasures.I'm always lookin fer sumpin that might work better though(and have my eye on two).........now dont ask about lures cause I gotem from the first one I bought.Never seen a lure I didnt like:p ...the R

#9 ·
Am like Anthony just started surf in July '03, so far I have 2 12' and 1 7' boat rod and about 10 combo for fresh water fishing.

If I has 40 rods I be single and broke.:D

Wilber you can a take a lot of kids fishing.

How many of those rods would you let a kids touch??

#10 ·
Lemme see.......

1-11ft tica
1-11'6 tica
1-12 ft OM
1-9 ft Team Diawa
1-8'6 Key largo trout rod(my all time favorite rod!)
1-7'6 Quantum(got her on sale @ SA,cork grip,nice and lite weight)
1-7ft Team Daiwa
1-7ft Penn
1-7ft Shimano.
1-7ft ultra lite tackle Shimano rod(basically my bait rod)
Total:10 too many rods(that's what the misses calls them)

The 7 footers altenate as inshore boat rods,and rods that I take fishin @ piers(bottom fishing)and ledges(the Great Kneck Bridge).

So that's my inventory.But for reels...that's another post

#11 ·
Thanks Guys

You make Me feel Soooo much more like a "Normal" person.

My girlfriend used to think I was Waaaay off the deep end with My tackle addiction.

Until I took Her along to fish the "Frank & Frans" tournament last fall.

After seeing some of the rigs on the beach that weekend, She now realizes that 12 or 15 surf sticks is a relatively conservative collection.

Now if I can just sell Her on the notion that 50 or 60 Shotguns are absolutely essential, My reputation will be saved.

#13 · (Edited)
You can only use three at a time...

...at the most on the surf.

Use my 12' OM conventional, 12' Ugly conventional, 12' Ugly spinning, and 10' Ugly spinning (backup) when I fish the ocean.

Of course, I always take my 9' jetty stick along and... next year (once I finish building it), my 10'6" metal slinging stick. ;)

..all the other rods (freshwater, musky, fly, ultralight, party boat, tuna sticks, etc.) stay home...

How many do you actually TAKE TO THE OCEAN TO FISH????

#17 ·
8 surf rods, 12 casting rods (freshwater) 28 reels, 300 fresh water lures. and more.
I did not buy all of this it was inherited when my dad (an avid bass fisherman) died.
Would you believe that none of it has been used sinc April of last year. Counting work, medical problems I havae not had th e time. Just remember two more months til spring.

#18 ·
Orest, I do take a lot of kid surf fishing. They can use any rod on the truck except MY Trout rod, all my kids have their own Trout rods and I have 3 loaners.

Nsearch, Nice start to a killer collection.

Smoothbore 54, We are normal.

Sandcrab, I agree. I never fish more than 2 rods, But you have to have a rod for everything. Thr rack on the truck holds 8 and I put 4 inside. Let me try to explain.

I have a rod that throws 8&bait perfectly, a rod for 5oz, 4oz. 3oz and 2oz. Then I have a Mirrolure rod, a half oz grub rod and a three quarter oz grub rod. In the 2 oz range I have a Team Daiwa 7 two handle and a one handle. In the 3oz range I have a metal rod and a bait rod and a lond distance 10 Interline. In the 4oz range Interline 11fter, Team Daiwa 11fter, a 10 that really likes 4 and a 5wiegh Team Daiwa 11fter for bigger baits.
Anyway, I won't go on, but you get the idea. Every rod does something perfectly, so, you gotta have them all.
OH, and don't forget the loaner rods for folks that you don't trust with the "good stuff".

Yes, it is important to have them all. At least I think so.

#19 ·
Wilber gald your kids go fishing you.

My don't, I ask but no one wants to go. I bought them their own rod/reels. They use to fresh water fishing with me when they were younger; but now being 18 and 15 it's a different story.

Oh well.

My mom said she would go with me, the only problem is she lives in Michigan.

I us to go fishing with my dad every chance I got.

#20 ·
12' Tica Cast
10' Tica Cast
9' Tica Cast
9' Tica Spin
8'6 BPS Salmon Rod (Trout rod for me)
8' Frank & Fran Special (Special cause Frank talked me into buying it)
7.5' BPS Cast
7' Silstar (the loaner rod)
and several more misc. 7' rods for inshore casting/plugging and bait rods
7' Beef Stick Boat
6 Sand spikes
5 Fillet/bait knives
4 tons of lead (not really, but it feels like it)
3 Tackle boxes
2 5 gallon buckets

and a striper fillet in my freezer.

:)

#22 ·
I second that R....All I have is Bunker and 1 saddly freezer burned mullet.......

Yeah I just blackened my last Striper Fillet on Tuesday.

I hope this NC trip,2morrow produces or its nuthin but Top Ramin and bunker head soup:D LOL

May the Fishing Gods smile upon us Tomorrow!!!!!

#24 ·
Orest

I'm asian, and I think it's offensive. i have never seen bunker head in the soup. Salmon heads yes, but not bunker. LOL :D

Reading everyone's post w/ their equipments make me so embarassed to post my stuffs up. I just started this surf thing last fall. There is still much too learn and casting an 12' is freaking hard.

#26 ·
7' Dave Workman Kingfish Speicail
15' Silstar spinning
8' Shakespeare Big Water casting
7' Typhoon spinning
6' Spinfisher(used to make rods to match Penn reels, not very popular) spinning
7.5' Fishbonz spinning
7' FLW(Wal-Mart brand) casting

When I fish the ocean I take the first three for king/surf fishing and the Fishbonz & Typhoon for backup/loan/bottomrigging(if the king action is zero).

Wilbur/Anthony,
How big is this "Biggun"?

Crabby,
Not funny. Shaggy mentions you cause you've really pissed him off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.