Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
884 Posts
Here on Hatteras the bite has slowed, I haven't saw a decent one caught in over a week .... theres not a lot of people here, the fleas for the most part have disappeared .... but you never know, I've seen em bite this late in the year several times especially the Southern, they'll take shrimp off the bar ... It seems to me those good reports are coming from South of here ...

· Registered
884 Posts
Well , looks like nobodys gonna chime it ... so bein I'm sittin here in Buxton with it pourin down rain and I've caught a lot of Sea Mullet, I'll elaborate : It all based on the water temperature and condition but mostly water temp ...... I have seen the water Temps stay in the 60's on into December before with a good Mullet bite and I've seen Sea Mullet bite with temps in the 50's a few times but rare ..... So like lots of top fisherman down here do .... watch Rudgers Sea Surface Temp .... If the waters in the 60's +, go Mullet fishin ..... Merry Christmas !

· Registered
2,911 Posts
Been at the Point in early February after it blew SW for a week or so. Water temp was in the 70's and saw a King Mackerel sky in some Menhaden by the Bird Enclosure.
Sea Mullet and Bluefish were on the menu for a lot of Sharks that were enjoying the warm water.
During the day I was in my shorts and barefoot.

Next Day reality came back with a hard NE wind and all the warm Gulfstream water dissapeared.

Back in the day, it usually started blowing hard NE in late October and then it would not let up until early May.....

· Registered
453 Posts
Well , looks like nobodys gonna chime it ... so bein I'm sittin here in Buxton with it pourin down rain and I've caught a lot of Sea Mullet, I'll elaborate : It all based on the water temperature and condition but mostly water temp ...... I have seen the water Temps stay in the 60's on into December before with a good Mullet bite and I've seen Sea Mullet bite with temps in the 50's a few times but rare ..... So like lots of top fisherman down here do .... watch Rudgers Sea Surface Temp .... If the waters in the 60's +, go Mullet fishin ..... Merry Christmas !
River you been hanging around the Lair? I need to call Lee about maybe getting a charter up for next year.

· Registered
884 Posts
Strange year .... Mullet are still being caught in January, mostly southern but nice size ... most around 1.25 lbs .... but I did catch a 18" weighing 2 lbs 7 ozs a couple days ago .... the water temp came up some and a few moved in .... You never know !!

· Registered
87 Posts
I was on a New Hanover county pier first week of December. It was one of those blessed days - cast and catch. Took a few nice sized Whiting home for the table. Was back there Jan. 11 and not a bite. Happy New Year to all you gentlemen and tight lines in 2023.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts