Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received one of the bargain Okuma Epixor EB65s for $59.99 from SA. Smooth reel - a little larger than I expected.

I am ordering a Solaris 12' for the reel and wonder what is a reasonable distance for this setup using 4 oz with a hi/lo rig, chunk bait and 30# power pro?

Also what are typical losses in distance with real rigs and bait vs. casting a sinker? Do you loose 20%, 30%, etc. because of the increased drag?

Getting ready for the fall and wonder what to expect with my new setup.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Solaris ???

Skeeter, I have heard about the Solaris and used 1 for the 1st time at casting practice. I was using a baseball and I was surprised when it went 400'. I don't remember what spinning reel was on it. Iwould like to have 1 of my own. I am not sure about the distance loss when using a rig; I have seen it posted before, but I don't remember. :) pelican man.

·
Registered
681 Posts
With my own eyes

I seen a person cast a 12 foot Solaris with an Okuma EB80 reel 500 feet. That was with bait.

·
Registered
681 Posts
With my own eyes

I seen a person cast a 12 foot Solaris with an Okuma EB80 reel 500 feet. That was with bait.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow.....sounds like this rig has potential.

LongRanger - I will come to casting practice on Saturday if I am in town (I may have to go to OH for the weekend). It would be great to get a few tips from the experts and to check out the equipment.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts