Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked around on here looking for some info on releasing fish that are large and/or unwanted and have found some threads for doing so in the surf but can't find anything on piers. For example, if an undersized shark is hooked, how do you get it back in the water? I've read that throwing them from the beach can lead to broken backs, and I can see being dropped from the pier as being much gentler on them. So is cutting the line the best thing to do with a fish that is large enough to get injured by putting it back from the pier or is there another method? Going to the beach doesn't seem like a viable option on some piers I've fished. What about rays? I assume cutting the line on them is the best thing to do on a pier? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
368 Posts
have always dropped small dogfish nose first off the end of the pier, havent seemed to make them have any ill effects, rays too, but at the last min they tend to belly flop :rolleyes: but nose first is the way i do it without problems.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If I have a large fish on I generally will let it run around a piling as close to the surface as possible and let the barnacles do the work or point my rod straight down and hold the spool while giving the line a swift yank if I'm using lighter line. The hook will rust out soon enough to where the fish won't receive to much harm. If for some reason I had an expensive lure I really wanted back I would beach the fish or raise and lower it with a net depending on the size of the fish.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. All of the methods mentioned probably have a time and place to be used so I guess i'll just do what seems best for the situation. Regarding the 4 lb test, I actually use ultra light rods with 2 to fish for trout around home so i'll be set! It takes a while to get used to the bigger rods used on the pier or surf...

·
Registered
14 Posts
VTF, well when we did have piers, (Pre IKE) we alway brought up big fish in a pier net like the above guys said. But please don't forget if the big fish is caught in deep water (15'+) then it has to be aired before release or it will surely not survive. I have a series of photos illustrating the airing process which I can post if needed.

After airing the fish, when you actually go to release the fish, take and hold it head away from you and slightly head down, then simply drop it. The weight of the fishes head will 99% of the time cause it to nose right back into the water. Have done that many times and never had a problem. If you fish a pier long enough, you get the timing down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.