Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That may sound like an odd question, but I reel my spinning with my left hand and cast with my right hand -easy enough. I'm looking at buying my first conventional set-up, and most of the reels are right hand retrieve. So what do you do - switch hands after the cast hits the water or while its in the air?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Yes it is a little shift in hand position. And the ones without levelwind the lefthand goes in front to guide the line on while holding the rod.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I always hold the Rod in My "Good" Hand

For Me, that's the Left one.

So, Right Side Retrieve, Conventionals work good for Me.

Left Side Retrieve, Conventionals aren't too hard to find.

·
Registered
680 Posts
ambassaduers make left hand retrieve in almost all models. they are readily available in most others, but you have to ask. a lot of dealers don't carry them.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I cast the same way for both reels.

Spinnig reel crank on the left no problem, crank on the right for conventional reels also no problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
they do have some conventional reels that are made left handed....but if you ask me, i think its easier with your right hand.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
If you're using the conventional for bait, really doesn't make a big difference changing hands after the cast. If you're using it for plugs and jigs, you may want to go to a left crank conventional. As with LM fishing, switching hands after every cast can get old, fast. Takes a little getting used to because the "throw" on the handle is shorter on the baitcaster, but the learning curve is quick.

My $.02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts