Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Depends on regs for that species

Votes: 17 60.7%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently found that I have been measuring my fish FL. An I thought I was doing TL.:rolleyes: Hasn't been an issue to this point but with a slot fish I will need to be more careful. Just wondering how th rest of yall do it.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
If it's a the biggest fish I ever caught then I do the total lenght other wise it depends on the regulations for the speices

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
If the critter doesn't have a hundred regs about the size and tooth color I do the total length thing, The Bigger The Better.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Ditto!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I guess that I use total length. Most of the keepers I catch are usually definitely keepers. The only exceptions are tog, ocean stripers, and flounder. I usually don't measure too many fish unless it's a trophy or a species that I don't catch too often.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
When in Rome do as the Roman's do.
Total length most of the time but in places that use forked then forked.

·
Registered
801 Posts
total length
+ 10% for walking back to the jeep
+ 10% for finding the tape
+ 10% for dropping the tape
+ 10% for finding the bourbon
+ 10% for finding the chaser
+ 10% for spilling the chaser
+ 12% if it was caught in DARE county (occupancy tax)
charlie

·
Registered
568 Posts
In Fla you measure to the fork with
amberjack,cobia,kings,pompano.
It does get confusing and you have to carry a reg book with you to keep up kimits and seasons.
I measured a Tarpon to the fork and lost 6" on the overall length. Now I take a tape that has the first 6' missing but I do like the way big brother put the tape to his.
:p

·
Registered
369 Posts
On Drum.. FL even tho the regs call for TL.. Just an old school thing...
On flounder, I break there backs and stretch them till they are legal...

Just kiddin... ;) :D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Total length unless regs say different. NC regs define total length as "from tip of snout with mouth closed to tip of compressed tail". This is a slight change than what I've done in the past, I never compressed the tail. May gain an inch or two.

Should we come up with a standard to use on the board. Between FL and TL could be several inches. My choice would be to define your fish by the regs.

mapcaster

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
I believe in fork length,simply because on the planks down here that's the way we've always measured. The NCDMF says fork length when you tag them also.. Course the NCDMF also says measure TL for a pup in the slot?? :rolleyes: I go with the regs there,but on most fish it's FL.. The drum I caught that was posted on here was TL,I gave both measurements,so I guess that's the standard.. :cool: Made it seem bigger anyhow.. :D
A friend of mine caught one on Avon and we could all tell the fish was under 40",his brother jumped up there and said,"I can make him 40" Well,measuring FL the fish was 37 and a half measuring TL the fish was exactly 40"....

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Me, always fork length, rather be safe than sorry with the men and women in uniform.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yo Shaggy, yall got a slot on drum? FL on th edge of th slot(upper) would be over on TL. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Good point Cdog, guess now it's gonna be FL on all drums close to minimum keeper and TL to those close to being too big (not that it is major, I think all of 'em I have caught I'd need FL to be safe). It's hell gettin' old, 'specially when they change the rules in mid life. Thanks for ruining my night and making me think logically Cdog, guess that's what friends are for.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts