Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother up in Peekskill tells me the Hudson River has been the cleanest that he has seen in years. Jumbo striped bass, large blues, and reports of fluke at the Croton River inlet. Does it get any better?

Sandcrab

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
There seems to be a fairly stable reproducing population of stripers up there. Nice to see nature getting back into balance.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only good until..

They determine what the heck they are going to do with dredging the river bottom up near Albany! Want to get some fisherman up in arms? Just mention "dredging". :eek:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I have a friend who is planning on fishing the Hudson next week so I should get a report them he fished there in late spring,but only caught 1 Striper. I personally never fished the Hudson, but next spring I'm going to have to do some serious fishing there.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The second they touch the bottom of the hudson, they better have a definite plan in place. Most of the pcb's and other sh*t that GE and other companies dumped into the river is just hanging out at the bottom of the river. I just hope for the best.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

They're going to do the same thing in the Delaware River. They want to get another five feet out of the shipping channel, and they'll be dumping the sludge in NJ. Like addict said, there's a hundred years of toxins in that mud. Seems like all the gains made in the last quarter of the twentieth century are just fading away....

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have lived in NY all my life until I join the Army and I have never fished the Hudson. How far up north do the stripers tend to travel?

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Homeboy?

Axon said:
I have lived in NY all my life until I join the Army and I have never fished the Hudson. How far up north do the stripers tend to travel?
Axon,

The stripers travel quite far up the Hudson. HuskMD was catching them this year in Albany during his vacation there and I heard they go further North than the capital.

Most of the time, they stop at Peekskill to visit me!:D

Oh yeah - Go Navy beat Army!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Axon (and Sandcrab)!

I was going to post an answer the other day, but I wanted to be sure of the facts. The New Jersey Angler did a series of articles on fishing the Hudson River for stripers, and I'm pretty sure that the article said that Hudson Stripers can travel over 100 miles upstream. (Sandcrab, does this sound right?)

It seems that a certain percentage of stripers in each major river system swim upstream after the spawn. I know here in the Delaware that big fish have been caught as far north as the Delaware Water Gap, which isn't far from the PA/NY border. (Shad travel up as far as Narrowsburg NY.) Fisheries biologists aren't sure why the stripers get the upstream wanderlust. But every year lucky bass and muskie fishermen hook (and occassionally land) 36 - 40 inch stripers.

When I dig out the 2002 issues, I'll get the definitive answer for the Hudson....

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've caught stripers as far north as Troy. They're up there.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Rugger!

Troy was definitely mentioned in the articles. Although the series was geared towards boat fishermen, we're hoping to have a P&S Fish-In on the Hudson this Spring. Any input from members with Hudson River experience will be welcomed! Hopefully we can lure some of the Chesapeake crowd northward for the event....

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let me know where...

MJ,

I'd jump at a chance to do some Hudson River striper fishing. I used to live in NY (Peekskill) and we did a lot of bait fishing with bloodworms and some lure fishing.

Let me know - I'd gladly make the trip. ;)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Sandcrab!

We'll definitely add you to the list! I'm going to do as much research through the Jersey Chapter of the HRFA, plus try and get some info at the Outdoor Show in January (damn this year went fast!)

I'm hoping for a two-day event (Sat/Sun) during the main run. I'll also track down cheap motels in the area. David (cocoflea) has expressed a lot of interest in cohosting this event. As far a I know, this would be the first P&S event above the Mason-Dixon line. I really want a crack at this Hudson River stock!

I'm also interested in a charter on the Hudson during the run, and a charter out of Long Island chunking for trophys in the 40 - 50 POUND class. If you're going to dream, dream big!

Let's hear from the NY/CT crew, and any other ex-Flatbush anglers....

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Hey

You can add my name to that list too! Just tell me when!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Jason!

Welcome aboard! We can use your experience in organizing P&S events. Besides, I think a trip to the Hudson may help us both break that 40 inch mark.....

Per the above post, we're just in the planning stages now. We need a spot(s) that can host 30 surf, jetty, and pier jockeys. I also want to make sure that our event dosn't conflict with any HRFA Spring events (although most of their events seem to be one day only.)

I'll also be publishing updates on the charter(s) on the Boating Board.

Let's see if we can jumpstart Spring 2004!

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We can shoot for the Spring run...

Striper season in NY opens March 15th? Lots of fish caught from the Tappanzee bridge North too during this time period...

The Cheasapeake Bay catch and release at the Susky flats should open around this time too...lots of cows on plugs for the taking...

...and don't forget about Matapeake and SPSP when the season opens...they be hot!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I may have to jump in on this fish-in as well as long as I can get a ride north. Keep us posted on this event.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Guys, I am a director of the Hudson River Fishemen's Association, a 450 member fishing club. Anyone is welcome to the HRFA to ask questions like above. With that, I have a few things to add.

First, the lastest on the dredging. Just heard last night that it will start in 2005. But, chances are it will be delayed as usual.

Second, We will have experts speaking on catching Stripers in upper and the Lower Hudson at our meetings in March April and May. We will also have an expert on fishing the Hudson in the mid to late fall (big fish)

Finally, We are hosting the only catch and release Striper tournament in the east on April 17th and 18th 2004. This will be our 2nd year of trying this. The base of this tournament will be the Striper Restaurant in Tarrytown NY. Last year, we had a 100 percent survival rate of fishermen who wished to let there fish go. Shoreline fishermen are also welcome. There will be FREE overnight Mooring, Launch and trailer parking. If you are interested in more go to WWW.HRFANJ.org or just e-mail me at [email protected]www.hrfanj.org

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Thanks for the info I live in Stamford and I've always wanted to fish the Hudson I will be in touch for more info.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Open Forum had a thread about time to start planning, and Coco made a post that got me thinking head south when weather is cold here, why not head north when weather warms up a bit too much here, so I shot him a PM. Well, he informed me there was a (hopefully) P&S get together north of the Mason Dixon being planned for the spring. Well, I think I found the thread, and if I can get three or preferably four weeks notice, this wannabe angler from the Chesapeake Bay region (preferably the surf up there) is in. Last year first for "real" pier fishing, and ask Hat, keep me on the beach. I honestly didn't give the Jetty at IRI a fair shot, the sand was toooooo close and it kept calling my name, so I beached it with a few others at the IRI cleanup. Any ways, keep me in mind.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts