Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hatteras Heavers, that is. Haven't seen a current discussion of the latest blank options in a while. Thinking about a new custom for this fall's trip. What say you?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Vega intimidator L, or h. And hellfire, haven't had a chance to play with a hellfire yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Vega's are expensive, probably a great rod. I've never used one. Better bang for your buck are the CPS Rods. Tommy Farmer sells them right here. I'm sure Tommy has done a comparitive study on his CPS vs Vega. If your in the area you can drop off at Joe Moore's in Avon he has all of Tom's rods for sale.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You've obviously never priced a Vega to have built either. The blanks for the intimidator are $200 bucks from Luis at cape Henry compared to $310 to $320 for one of Tommy's blanks. Depending on components you can get a vega for around $400 built.

Tommy's rods are great, I own half a dozen, from the smallest to the biggest. But I find I prefer a 70/30 split for a heaver. I like the feel fighting a fish better. Either 1305 cts or the Vega L over my 8 to 12 ccp gen 1 for the beach. I like the ccp gen 1 for pier. I believe Nick builds all 3.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you are looking for a custom rod the buzz word is Nick Walke Custom Rods lives in Kill Devil Hill NC .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your right Benji I have never gotten a price for a custom Vega Rod. But I did get a price in a stock model, heaver and it was a $400. My mistake I thought Tommy's were cheaper.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Benji thanks for the information on Vaga rods at Cape Henery. I'm going up there to price some rods.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also forgot about the century drum gun ... if you have too much extra money..
Lord help us, I'd have to set up a payment plan on the Century rods! For some reason, I don't think they would add 30 yards to my cast. Poor technique on my part.

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,333 Posts
Guys,

There are a bunch of quality options on heavers. I'd say it is a GREAT time to be in the market. Back in the winter, we had a couple of casting demo days in eastern NC. I took the new CPS GEN 2 heavers out to play against the best heavers on the market. At the end of the day I was very happy with the results... :)

The best advice I can offer is to try as many as you can, and make your decision based on what feels and performs best in YOUR hands, not what a buddy likes or thinks is the best out there. Never has there been a better selection of top quality rods available.

I believe Nick does build on all of the blanks mentioned.

The CPS GEN 2 rods and blanks are 10-12 % lighter in weight (compared to G1) with faster recovery on the cast and exceptional bite detection.

As always, I'm available to answer any questions!

Tommy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts