Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas I am thinking about hitting the hot ditch thursday and was looking for some advice. The weather man says possibility of rain and high winds so I am thinking the ditch is sheltered and fish may choose to hang out in the calmer waters what is your thoughts on that theory?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
hmmm calmer waters prolly dont have much bait movement. Most fish like to spend as little energy as possible to get food and most seem to be ambushers so I guess it cold go either way (type of fish one is after) but temperature would be the reason for one to go to the hot ditch as the plant puts out 80 or 90 degree water. good luck

·
Registered
171 Posts
The cove at the hot ditch is about as calm as it gets and the big specs come from there every year. There is rarely any current there. A float with a live gudgeon and it's game on.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Steve clark at chesapeake. Bait and tackle is a hot ditch local a d expert located on battlefield blvd close to the ditch and he sells live bait

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have heard alot about this hot ditch. Is there a way to fish it from shore I have an idea where it is the bridge and the cove chesapeake right? I have a yak but it is a SOT but it is self bailing and a little to cold for that . Thanks in advance . I may try it out tonight if anyone gets back to me .

·
Registered
317 Posts
I tried plugging them with pool noodles but did not work so well .It is an older kayak, a yahoo form ocean kayaks. It was made a while ago it has the knee tree in the middle. I threw some deck loops on it to make it a fishing yak for my milk crate. Need to put some fishing rod holders on it but I put PVC ..... sorry anyway I looked at boaters world the skupper plugs did not look like they would fit .The drains are on the bottom of the boat .

·
Registered
885 Posts
Just curious: I was wondering if you take your yaks over the float boom at the Hot Ditch and actually go into the ditch itself? It would seem the likely thing to do.
Advisor

·
Registered
121 Posts
Kayak Plugs

Buy some foam practice golf balls, cut them in half, drill a hole through the middle and run some line through them...use them to plug the scupper holescost me maybe 6 bucks to make...they have lasted for three seasons without fail...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hot Ditch

Just curious: I was wondering if you take your yaks over the float boom at the Hot Ditch and actually go into the ditch itself? It would seem the likely thing to do.
Advisor
You might get a ticket for trespasing :)

Be Careful Marine Patrol and Game Warden visit there pretty often.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Hot Ditch is Cooling Discharge from the Power Plant,it's a ditch that run's down a Power Line Right Of Way from the Plant and Dumps into the Elizabeth River.Most of it is on Dominion's Property except toward the end of it by the river.Hope that help's :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Advisor
I was on a friends boat last year and we went over it ( I told him it was a bad idea ! ) and fished for about an hour and right before dark we went back over and anchored on the other side and a guy came down yelling he was with the power company and had us on tape over the boom and told us we had to leave the ditch , I said we are back on this side and he kept yelling for us to leave or he was calling the cops so we left.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tried plugging them with pool noodles but did not work so well .It is an older kayak, a yahoo form ocean kayaks. It was made a while ago it has the knee tree in the middle. I threw some deck loops on it to make it a fishing yak for my milk crate. Need to put some fishing rod holders on it but I put PVC ..... sorry anyway I looked at boaters world the skupper plugs did not look like they would fit .The drains are on the bottom of the boat .
Just get some waders and you wont get wet. My yak is a wet ride and I will stay warm and dry all day in it with waders.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Do you have a dry top with the waderscormech?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just use a columbia jacket. It is water repellent. A loose fitting rain jacket would work also. Just remember to layer under it.

Now this wont help if you turtle.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Buy some foam practice golf balls, cut them in half, drill a hole through the middle and run some line through them...use them to plug the scupper holescost me maybe 6 bucks to make...they have lasted for three seasons without fail...
yeah agree just went to kmart and bought a pack of 6 for $5.24 and they worked great. didn't get this guy today but the other night me and buddy hooked up nice and picked up and few nice trout and puppy drum out there. all were release except for this guy.

tight lines

1 - 20 of 21 Posts