Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna be heading down (like all of us) to either Romancoke or Sandy Point. It seems to me like the hot bait for stripers is clam snouts and bloodworms. I have a 12 ft om surf rod that can really throw big sinkers and bait way out to the channel edge but the clam snouts and blood worms don't seem like they would hold as well on the hook as alewive or mullet. Are the stripers not hitting cut bait? What do you all think?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If you can get your hands on some fresh Herring that wouln't be a bad bait to try.Hopefully my local Safeway will have that available for me tommorow.I don't know about the frozen Menhaden that they have in the tackle stores now.Clam Snouts seems to be the best alturnitive to using bloodworms.I know if I can get my hands on some of the freshest Herring I can catch all the big Stripers.You can catch Herring while fishing for Shad.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I with you HappyPappy. I buy most of my cut bait fresh from my local Giant food store. Since it's never been frozen it stays on the hook very well. Some of the fresh bait I buy at Giant are herring, spot, perch, squid, and sometimes smelt. Don't overlook the small fresh shrimp. You get a lot of baits in a pound of small shrimp and trout and blues will tear them up. If you get to know the fish guy have him save some fish heads, rock love them. If you call your local supermarket, the seafood dept. will tell you what they have and what they're getting in. Sure beats the crap they sell at tackle shops.

Catman.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My local Safeway didn't have fresh Herring,but Anglers is trying to get some fresh Bunker.They said everytime the local waterman tries to get Menhaden he catches too many big Stripers;they get mixed in w/ the Bunker. :eek:

·
Registered
680 Posts
if you worry about bait coming off the hook, go to a yard goods shop and get some elastic sewing thread. i know walmart has it. all you have to do is wrap it around some and stretch until it breaks. it will blend in colorwise, and it will hold. you can use it on clam, peelers etc. best part it's less than a buck and goes a long way. :) :) :)

P

·
0 Posts
Billr,

About the elastic sewing thread tip, after wrapping it around the bait and breaking it off do you tie the two ends together? When I tried just snapping it off it did unwind from the bait.

BTW: thanks for that fantastic tip. I will definitely use this thread a lot this year. I'm so sure of it, I bought 3 spools at 81 cents per spool. What a good deal!

Thanks again!

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
There are plenty of baits they'll hit, but I'd stick with bloodworms in the spring. Cut bait is better in the fall. They're a little steep in price but worth it.

Just keep in mind that the run is winding down. While you might have some luck, your chances are much lower this time of year. You'll probably do fine on the croaker, though.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Ben by the marina and around the docks, last year in the summer I did well with my cast net for white perch and spot. With the perch coming in you might have a chance with them there but I doubt the herring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts