Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming into town Wednesday and heading back home on Labor Day. Forecast is calling for friendly winds, at least on Thursday.

Last year this time the pups were out in full force. This year the cold water has thrown everything into chaos.

Guess I'll hit Sandbridge on Thursday, Chick's for blacktips and little black drum on Friday/Saturday, Seagull or back to Sandbridge on Monday.

Say hi if you're around. :)

Has anyone heard of consistent spanish mackerel action around the piers?

·
Registered
105 Posts
trying to find my way

Sand flea

What makes a day of NE wind a good day for fishing?

Mama always said a dummy wouldnt be dumb if he would just "ask" what he thinks is a dumb question!

FISH (Finally In Saltwater Heaven)

·
Registered
290 Posts
I liked Zigh's "Grandview report 8/26", take a look. Might want to give it a try in the morning.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bull city: NE or E winds are good for several reasons. One, they allow warmer, cleaner surface water from offshore to come in close. Two, those winds stack bait up against the beach where predators come in to feed on them.

The only day they're calling for good winds is tomorrow--NNE, then it's back to SW through the weekend. :(

Guess I'll hit Sandbridge tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed.

hic-lock: I saw Zigh's report and might check out Grandview. I'm just worried about the recent sewage spill out there. Blech.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hey Sandflea......that sewage spill has kept me away also .Im gonna check with the Hampton Enviro-Health Dept today and find out the latest readings for Grandview. The beach is open there but closed in Buckroe.Hard to figure as the two piers are within a good cast by Longcaster of each other.A little suspicious. I'll let you know....the R(with one hand on the tackle bag)

·
Registered
251 Posts
1 mo question

The head boat that leaves from Harrisons heads toward the Hampton area. They are not fishing in that yuck are they? I plan on taking that trip on Friday Morning

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Just talked with the Health Dept....Grandview OPEN...last tested Wed ,a week ago,testing again this aft ;results next Tues.....Buckroe CLOSED,tested the other day....Blamed discrep. on runoff pipes spilling into Buckroe............We could always wait and see if Zigh comes down with the CRUD or mutates...........thats the word from "the powers that be"....the R

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even though the water temps are crap off the beaches, I think Lynnhaven Inlet is stuffed with pups right now. I'll probably wade around there on Friday and/or Saturday.

Maybe I should look into a kayak...you 'yakkers have any recommendations? (or an extra I can use :) )

Hitting the road now--I'll check back in once I reach Va. Beach.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Poor Sandflea!!.......we forgot to tell him NOT to stay Va beach oceanfront.Labor day and American Music Fest.=years worst driving conditions.........the R

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I think Flea knows all about the going's on in Va Beach. He will probably be staying with in spitting distance of the CBBT Toll booth. I may try and catch up with him on Friday.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Ima gonna try something....

...this weekend. Haven't done much fishing in the last montb or so. Doldrums is right.
Methinks July is the worst fishing month, way worse than February!
But, we are on the cusp on something good happing.

Flea, fish that ENE while we got it, then focus on the inlet.

Digger, long time no see!

It would be good to run accross one/both of y'all this weekend

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'll just say this; there are some very large and thick flounders in the area, I caught 5. The wind was 10 to 15 SW. Put your cast net over some of the 5 or 6" menhaden that are also here. Work an area for a short while and move on if the action is slow, some times a short distance is all that is needed. I would like to partake of the pups also. There's nothing that smells better to them than grass shrimp! Of course they like most all baits.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks Sand flea

Thanks to you guys I'm building my knowledge base one fact at a time.
Now I hope I can catch some of those smart fish!

FISH (Finally In Saltwater Heaven)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Might be wise to try the hole south of the Little Island pier,

Checked the Avalon Pier site and yesterday they spotted a dozen or so Cobia with two decked!
:jawdrop:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Been having good luck all summer

Dunno about you guys, but I have been doing Okie Dokie off Dam Neck and Sandbridge for most of the summer

Monday was my best Croaker day in awhile, got a couple nice ones around 2 1/2 pounds and quite a few just under that.

Tailor Blues have been lingering there for the past month.

Got a striper about 21", not legal of course, but alot of fun to bring in. He was let loose no worse for wear.

Ocassional smaller flounder, had a keeper roll off the hook right at the beach

But I also can't wait for the Striper run to kick in.

Sandbridge beach and Dam Neck beach both have started developing small sloughs from 100' to 150' out, I get alot of action out of them.

I'm a newbie at saltwater fishing, but I have been studying the conditions, ( wind, Temps, tides, bait ). I have been getting alot of good info from some of the veterans and it's been paying off also,

:)

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back Bay/Lynnhaven Pier

I made it out to Back Bay around 9:45 this morning. The wind was out of the SW (big surprise) and was very light. The black flies nearly ate me alive; I probably looked like I was doing some sort of spastic raindance to anyone at a distance.

It was so bloody hot that sweat was literally pouring off my face by the time I reached the beach. There were schools of bunker everywhere, although I couldn't snag one to save my life. I put out some fresh mullet that I had just castnetted and pulled in a small blue. He was chopped up and went back out.

The heat and the flies were driving me nuts. After about two hours and getting chewed on by every fly on the beach, I was yelling out profanities that could have stripped paint. Finally, the wind swung around to a light east around 1:00 PM. That kept the flies away.

Tossing into the edges of the bunker schools, I made something leap that was either a good-sized mackerel or a houndfish. It was hard to tell.

My favorite hole out there is gone, flattened out. But there are some nice sod banks that have broken up and created a huge wash back near the ramp. I'll fish there if I go back there in the next few days. One other thing--the pompano were thicker than the flies. Though they were too little to mess with, I saw literally thousands working the shallows in schools of 5-50.

After dinner, I headed to Lynnhaven Pier with the hopes of scaring up some spanish. No luck, just another little blue.

Think I'll goof off around Chick's and Lynnhaven tomorrow. Maybe I'll come across one of those blacktips chest2head&glassy has been talking about...

P.S.: the rhondel--I grew up around here, so not even holiday traffic phases me. You want to talk traffic, try sitting on the DC beltway during rush hour. :barf:

Digger & Bubba: Let me know if you're fishing this neck of the woods. We'll try and wet a line.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hey Flea....I grew up at the beach too and the traffic still pis*%! me off.My sister in law(the govt puter gene- e- us
) lives outside of DC and I've been in that traffic.She's freakin NUTS........the R​

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
OK Sand Flea you got the ENE wind today. It was nice seeing you yesterday and meeting your lady. Enjoy the fishing today I may be out late tonight 10pm-2am.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts