Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best way of hooking live bait (small spot, large minnows) and making sure it stays on your hook when making long casts from the pier, and what size hook should be used. :confused: :mad:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
If your fishing for Rock the best way to hook live white perch is under the dorsel fin,between the fin and back bone,don't nick the back bone or you will eather injure or kill it. You can also use bunker(live)or 9" croaker or what ever bait you can catch. I learned this along time ago fishing for Musky in Minn. with my dad. :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Trigger,
That's how I hook the spot as well. Haven't really tried casting it like that though.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
HuskyMD- you can through them out a little ways from the pier or the shore,when PLSP didn't have those rocks lining the bulk head it was great and I use to through them out 50yrds. or better for those Chomper Blues back in the late 70's. But I hear on the coast VA.beach,OBX their catching 8 to 12lb. Blues. :( :(

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
velle3618
If you are liveling them like they said hook them in the back. You can throw them out about 50-75 yds like trigger said. Also a little secret: Cut a little bit of the tail fin off the fish and some of the dorsal fin. This makes them swim more sporadic. Enticing the larger fish :D Plus it makes the fish easier to swallow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts