Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
You can get away with 12-15 or even 10 lb line if you are only tossing 2-3 oz sinkers in close. If you try to heave them though you will probably snap off on the cast, so keep it a nice smooth toss.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
we just got back and slayed the big mullet on fleas with #4 Mutu light wire hooks, if you were throwing farther than 10' you were throwing past the fish, caught 3 citations and all were only about 5' out, find the fleas cause fish will be there feeding and fish the lip right there in the wash where it drops off

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Another thing on the kahle hooks, I had alot of problems with them not hooking slot drum well, they would only skin hook the fish. I'd go to a 7/0 circle for cut bait, never know when a cobia will decide to eat

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
we just got back and slayed the big mullet on fleas with #4 Mutu light wire hooks, if you were throwing farther than 10' you were throwing past the fish, caught 3 citations and all were only about 5' out, find the fleas cause fish will be there feeding and fish the lip right there in the wash where it drops off
Nice!! And thanks for the tips. I've certainly noticed colonies of fleas on the beach before, but never paid much attention to them. Anything in particular to look for to find them, other than the obvious "V" they create from the receding wave action?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Another thing on the kahle hooks, I had alot of problems with them not hooking slot drum well, they would only skin hook the fish. I'd go to a 7/0 circle for cut bait, never know when a cobia will decide to eat
Sounds good. I think I'll stick with circles in various sizes for all my setups.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts