Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I'm coming down Sunday and staying in Hatteras village on the sound side. White Ram 1500 with red kayak on top. I hope Ramp 55 is ok after the storm this week, I am taking an elderly friend who is wheelchair bound surf fishing for what might be his final trip, and don't think I want to fight the congestion at the POINT. I figure 55 might give us more room to "breath" and I can set up his beach wheelchair and figure out some shade for him. I am trying to encourage him that we need to night fish but he is against it.

Any issues or closures that I ought to be aware of? I am not new to surf fishing by any means, just new to Ramp 55 and 49.

Thanks for the advice and feedback.

Reactions: UNCXX

·
Super Moderator
2,047 Posts
Beach is chewed up.... You might be better off fishing 38, 43, and 34 which arent as crowded as 55 and easier for you to get him fishing. 48 and 49 also deserve a look also. Since the storm much has changed as far as structure.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
North Wind fish the North Facing Beaches

South Wind fish the South Facing Beaches

East Wind go swimming

West Wind Fish the Pamlico

Beach is going to be tore up everywhere be careful about driving over debris.

Do not worry about other people, this time of year they will be everywhere. Drive to where the wind is in your face.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info and heads up. My goal is to get the old man to the sea and see what happens. Maybe someday I will get taken to fish when I think those days are past

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the info and heads up. My goal is to get the old man to the sea and see what happens. Maybe someday I will get taken to fish when I think those days are past
[/QUOTE
It sounds like your a good man. I hope you and your friend have a great fishing trip. Not counting my wife and kids my good friends don’t fill up one hand. I’m talking about people like you that will be there, not acquaintances. It special to have a few really good friends and honestly it’s rare in todays world. You guys take care and have a great fishing trip!

Von

·
Registered
285 Posts
Walked 55 yesterday as I got tired looking at my rods doing nothing. Saw no fish caught or even a bite. Dead. Had some slight luck on 43/44. Pups. Overall been a dead week and half fishing wise. But as I’ve said before this is my happy place. Oh. Do not get on this damn ferry. You will sit as commercial and locals go on plus it’s not running its regular schedule. Forget Ocracoke.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Tried the sound as well. Not much. I think all the cold water pushed in by the storm has really hampered the fishing. I’ve eat good and gained weight so we have that at least. Pops was great yesterday evening.

·
Registered
187 Posts
that suck about the beaches, same happened up our way. I used to love going to Ocracoke for vacation but with the ferry changes the past few years we stay in Frisco. Had family members take the ferry 2 years ago and waited 3 hours to get back

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fished 55 on Tuesday afternoon. Same here although the guy beside me caught a slot.

I did however have success on the Point. Decent bite Sun, Mon, and Tues when the wind changed. Got a 46in,43in, and 33in.....and got a cooler full of sea mullet on Wed afternoon when the drum bite stopped. One of my best trips in a while.

But could not find anything elsewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts