Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We caught lots of juvenile black drum (probably 30-40), some pompanos, one big blue, a few smaller/medium size blues, and some whiting. We were fishing mullet chunks/strips, Fishbites (blood worm and shrimp scent/flavor), and live blood worms. The cheaters (guys in boats) were catching a few big red drum not far from the beach...we watched them through the binoculars. I'm not a good judge of distance, but I'm guessing they were only about 150 yards - 200 yards max off the beach...so some of you distance casters could have probably bounced a drum rig off the side of their boats. We were hoping to catch some reds too, but no luck...we only caught blues on our drum/FF rigs. Surf was calm...only needed 2 to 3 oz. to hold. Water was dark. Finger mullet were plentiful in the surf. Our house was about 4 miles west of the bridge, and all we did was walk straight out and fish directly in front of the house.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Black drum have been ridiculous this season. I can only guess that all of the fresh water flooding inshore has pushed them out into the surf.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How big was the large blue? Have you tried the pier yet?
Didn't measure it, so I don't have the exact size...but it went at least 18-20 inches...not huge, but "big" compared to the other blues we caught. Didn't try the pier, and I'm no longer there. Got down there late Saturday evening, fished for just a few hours on both Sunday and Monday, and then left on Tuesday morning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts