Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time hatteras surf fisherman, but going to try Holden next July. I've never been there before.

1. I'm staying towards the east end. Where are the go to spots? Is walking to the inlet worth it, or stay on the ocean side?
2. Which tackle shop do you recommend, and where is it?
3. What species are in the surf that time a year?
4. Anywhere to net some bait on the island? And fingers in the canals there?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Rod and Reel is a good place for tackle and great tips...the pier early in the morning my have trout and pompano...caught some jacks there around that time. Lots of fingers in the canal and lockwood folly river...

·
Registered
287 Posts
The east end traditionally has some good holes. The inlet itself can be hard on rigs, there's a lot of debris to snag. Walk the beach at low to check out the lay of the beach. I have had best luck on a flood tide when the water gets deep enough to let the bigger fish in to the structure and sloughs. As Boomer mentioned, pre-dawn and dusk are key especially if they match up with a good tide. The pinfish will show up just after dawn and you'll have mostly blacktips, pins, and swimmers in your lines for the day shift in July. I've had luck with good pompano, whiting, and an occasional pup red or middlin blue in July. I've seen other guys catch good flounder in the summer but rare for me personally. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts