Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not gaining any distance. Casting baseball 350 ft consistantly but not increasing. Lead going almost 450ft.Doesent matter OFG or Arielize. Is this the limit of my equipment or do I need some remedial help? Breakaway 11'9 & ABU 6500 Elite w/ fiber blocks.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi Gravedigger,

The equipment has more to give. You may need some casting tips. You are only 90 minutes away from where we practice on Saturdays. I can only suggest that you come to a practice session or get a good video. We have copies of Neil Mackellow's video left over from the last casting clinic. If you want a copy get on touch with me. If you have a camcorder, send me a video clip of your cast. Maybe our group will see something that you are missing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was at the clinic and recieved video. I'll see if I can get my father to watch but he now says he can't do it and won't try any more.

Nelson

·
Registered
571 Posts
I’m sorry that I did not recognize you by your screen name. I have reviewed a video clip of your casting style from the “Going the Distance” clinic. I have sent you a copy with a list of suggestions. Please review your video clip and try the suggestions. You will also need to have Neil’s video handy to better understand my comments. Neil and Capital Longcasters will continue to work with you as long as you are giving it an honest try. You do not appear to have any physical limitations, so there is no reason why you can’t reach 600 feet with proper technique and gear. All of us hit walls during from time to time. So relax, have fun and the distance will follow. If you feel that you need a private refresher, I’ll get with you after work one evening.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nelson,
Watch the aerial ground cast on Neil's tape-when the lead swings back he says "back to 90". I found that I was not
coming back to 90 degrees as my lead came back, just before you turn and cast. It made a difference since now my lead was swinging around the outside of the rod tip. Just a suggestion.
Gordon

·
Registered
58 Posts
hi nelson,

the wall is there only because you need to raise yourself to a higher level so you can step over it.

go see james, he can help you make the changes necessary to make this wall a kerb so you can move on to the next wall where it all starts over again.

regards peter

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the kind words and congratulation on setting three new distance record over the weekend. I sent Nelson a slow motion video of his cast with complete step by step instructions. Once he learns to use his body and not his arms he should be in range of 600 feet in no time. I hope that he comes down to see us on Saturday so I can get him on track in person. If not, I’ll make the drive up to his town one day. Did I mention that we have four or five women at practice each week? They want have their eyes on winning that rod for casting 600 feet. By the way, do you have a hot list of rods that are good to women casters? We expect to see some of them on the tournament field no later than next spring if we can get them away from the fish.:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
thanks james,

andy might be in a better position to advise on rods for ladies having taught the former Uk ladies champion? personally i would go for an easy action fishing rod something like the 3500 it has enough power to easily top 700ft but is very user friendly and is quite low dia which should make it easier for the ladies to grip the reel. andy what do you think?

regards peter

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank James

The comments and video helped. I am loading the rod better but can't seem to get fluid motion when I practiced last night. Got home after dark from work today. The wall will come down!

Nelson

·
Registered
571 Posts
We all need help from time to time. If you have the time, I’m available to give you a few hours of FREE private coaching or you could come down to the club practice one Saturday. Sometimes small changes can make a major improvement in distance. The way to smooth out your style is by casting slow and easy with a very gentle cast. You should inccrease the power slowly over a week or two. Also, do not overtrain. Keep your practice sessions short but effective. Six to twelve cast per training day is more than enough. You don't need to train everyday. Distance will come over time as your body and mind adjust to the your new casting style.

·
Registered
262 Posts
James, When you get a 3500...

for Sandy; My wife would like to give it a try. :) pelican man.

·
Registered
337 Posts
have any of you heard of a Jarvis Walker Tuff-tip? I have that and I am using a penn 500L. I have not magged it yet, but throwing a 4 oz sinker I am never gettign over 75 yards, and when there is bait involved, it is considerable less. I just got some casting books and am going to read up a little bit, but I too wonder if I have the right fishing equipt for getting 15o-200yrds.

todd

the tuff tip is a 10 footer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts