Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's I'm new here and have enjoyed scrolling through the past pages. I've got what I hope is a easily answered question for ya. I'm coming down to HH March 14th thru 21st. I've been there in May and did very well on sharks (a couple nice 4-5 footers) on drum rigs right in the surf and had a blast. When I come to the ocean I just want to hook something that pulls hard. Anyway I was wondering what was available in the surf during March? I've got a charter booked for Reds in the flats but have about 3 or 4 days open to fish on my own. Any info on what I might expect to be able to catch in the surf would be great. PM me if you prefer. I am a die-hard steelheader from NE Ohio and am more than willing to trade info.
Thanks
DB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for all the help.
I can't believe the rush of information.......
Who knew such a simple question would be so hard to answer.
I didn't realize asking what may be swimming in the surf around Hilton Head in March was such a tough one.
I guess asking for some general info for my once a year trip was too much.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Sorry man, I don't know of anyone on here who's local to the Hilton Head area. I'd expect the same things as other places, depending on water temperature. Whiting, doggies and skates, possibly the early run of blues on the bottom (or plugs if the blues are thick), red and black drum and sheepshead if you know how to target them (search on here).

Toss cut mullet and fresh shrimp on the bottom, 2 hook bottom rigs with 2-4 oz pyramid sinkers for starters, fiddlers for sheepshead around piers and rocks, fresh shrimp for black drum around structure, check out my thread in the open forum for pups in the surf. There are some flounder being caught up this way but they're the flounder that wintered here and aren't of legal size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am north of HHI and during my fishing this past weekend we caught a bunch of BSB a few trout a couple of whiting and saw some nice red drum snatched up. Everything was caught on the pier except the drum they were in the surf.

Hope that helps more.

·
Registered
72 Posts
hhi fishing

water temp at HHi today is 54 f.i will be there starting march 29 .. Have decided not to pack rods unless thereis a quick warm up. Can always rent down there if surf turns on. might pack waders just in case'

steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.