Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested to know what people prefer to use, fish-finder or a hi-lo rig, when surf fishing in the fall. I am new to this and want to know if you use hi-lo's only for small game i.e. spot, croakers; and use fish-finders for larger fish i.e. stripers, cobias, big blues. Does the style vary just because of preference or because one style is better for some fish? I do know that you can get more distance with a hi-lo, but why else do people use it?

todd

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Todd!

You basically answered your own question. Hi-Lo is great for small fish that travel in schools. Some guys like to use it in the surf to present two different baits when you're not sure what's around. Many larger fish respond better to the fish finder rig, especially if you're using a big bait. It allows the fish to move off and take the bait before feeling the sinker. It can be tough to cast, though, and some people add a second swivel as a "stop" above the first swivel. Many people compensate for the casting limitations by using a fixed sinker with a long leader and single hook when casting for big fish. Part of the fun of fishing is experimenting to see what works best for you....

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Hi Low rigs are not tough enough..

IMHO - Hi/Lo rigs are great for small punk fish but can not handle the larger fish and the strain they place on the way those cheap hi/lo rigs are made. Stick with homemade fishfinder rigs on good quality leader material and you won't have to worry about some cheap rig coming apart just when you need it most...I don't trust them for fishing the surf for larger fish...One large bluefish will tear them apart. ;)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Sandcrab!

There aren't many rigs, store bought or hand tied, that a big blue CAN'T tear apart! You have to have a good deal of luck on your side to land a slammer on a mullet rig in the surf....

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
I'm a "fishfinder" person myself,when it comes to a big drum or cobe.. BUT,I have seen qualified captians down in NC like Norman Miller use something simular to a high-low..(If tie properly,it won't get torn apart any quicker than a fishfinder,IMHO) He uses one dropper loope with a 9/0 hook,and attaches his sinker to the bottom.. Can't emagine having two tied on and throwin that thing into a big school of Redones....:eek:

·
Registered
551 Posts
I Use and Custom Make My Hi-Low Rigs

Hi "bassn",

I prefer using the hi-low rigs that I custom tie using "Terminal Rig Components" at this link:

http://www.thereelstuff.com/access.html

My main terminal line is 80 pound test mono.

My leader material is either 50 pound test or 30 pound test mono, depending on hook size.

For the toothy critters, I use Eagle Claw Nylowire

The reason why I prefer Hi-Low rigs is because it gives me a larger scent trail, and gives me a second chance to catch fish interested in my bait offering!

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks yall for the info. I will be trying out the different terminal all this fall. Good luck everyone, and let us know what you catch, and how you catch it:) ...if you will.

todd

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
todd, I've caught a many 15-16lb. Bluefish on a double fireball rig ( of course that was back when they were available of the beachs of Carolina) that I guess is considered a hi-lo rig but everyone is right they're mainly for the smaller stuff, it just depends on how heavy they're made. I like the fishfinder rigs for a couple of reasons. The biggest one is for livebait fishing, it's kind of like a pin rig in that it lets the bait move around while it's still anchored somewhat. The other is when you're fishing in a moving current, you can put your bait (live or cut) where you want it and let it move with the current to cover more area.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
On your fish finding rigs how long should the leader be the part that the hook attaches too(2ft. or longer). I'v caught 20" Rock off a hi/low rig useing cut perch.:D and nice trout off of the fish - finders and also flounder off of AI. :cool: So I guess I like useing both.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I usually keep mine in the 2ft. range unless fishing in a stiff onshore wind, then I'd make them 12" long so they don't whip around so much when you cast them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Keep shortening the leader until you no longer have the helicopter problem. Mine's usu. around 6" as big brother.

·
Registered
472 Posts
FAST EDDIE said:
Check out this link and then make up your mind on hi-lo versus fish-finder.

http://www.stripersurf.com/highlowrig.html

I'm Confused........

While reading the "testimonial" at the above link, I understood the guy to say that his hi-lo rig was out performing his buddies, because he was catching all his fish on the top hook.

Then in the next paragraph, he says the trouble with the fish-finder rig is that the bait can be 12 to 18 inches off the bottom.

So lets see, it's a good thing to have your bait off the bottom, as long as you're using his hi-lo rig, but it's a bad thing if you're using your fish-finder / Carolina rig?

HMMMMM.............

Very Confusing

For what it's worth.....

For 20 years, I thought I invented what I called a "slip-sinker" rig.

When I was growing up (1960's), around Culpeper, Va. the sporting goods shops didn't even have Egg sinkers. I used a "bank" sinker on the line with a split shot for a stop.

Then, surprise, surprise, I found out that a lot of other folks had invented it too.

Anyway, I think it's the most effective, versatile rig you can use.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
smoothbore54 Bob D'Amico has been known to have his opions. But we all do, he is just a little more forceful.

Also where around Culpepper my wife is from about 15-20 min south.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Digger, would your wife happen to be from Madison County? If she is, you got really lucky, we try to keep our girls at home. ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
The high-low rig recomended by D'Amico is 50" - has anyone used a rig that long? Most rigs that I have ever seen are half that long.

By the way is it legal to put 3 hooks on one rig?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi "Fish Bait"

I use a hi-lo rig that is approximately that long, but I custom tie the ones I use.

There are two reasons why I use a rig that long:

1) To cover more area

2) To keep the two hooks separated so they will not catch each other and tangle

In the State of Maryland you are allowed two hooks per fishing rod (as it applies to hi-lo rigs).

NOTE: Lures are a different matter.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I personally like the highlow rig, for the same reason a few above do. the opertunity to use 2 or more differant baits and casting ability. My wife and have caught redfish up to 40" out of the surf with this rig. BTW I dont buy highlows I tie all my own, using between 30 and 50lb leader. If blues are running I use 50 and the top hook is a 5/0 owner and I usually run two 2/0 eagle claws below that with shrimp and clams or fishbites. It has worked great for me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts