Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've surfed most of the old posts getting a feel for the board, so here's my story, I'm pretty new to fishing, I usually go to the southshores of Long island (ny) and fish off of the docks at Captree, now I'm looking to expand my horizons and fish other docks and possibly the surf. I'm pretty inexperienced so any and all advice is welcomed...
I recently purchased a Shakespeare ugly stik (2 piece 7foot) and a couple of reels (shimano sedona 4000fa, penn power graph pg2000), I also ordered a Bassproshops muskie rod by mistake (oops, thought it was a spinning rod), should I keep it and buy a casting reel? If you guys can clue me in on if I bought the right stuff, or should have bought something else? I'm mainly looking to catch anything off of the docks/shoreline and possibley off of the boats later on, thanks a lot~!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Welcome

It sounds like you've made a good start. Your spinning tackle will be easy to use, and effective for fishing your area.

As for your mistaken purchase of a casting rod,....... stuff happens.

Some guys can cast them OK right from the start, but most folks find them hard to deal with.

There are places where you don't have to cast very far (bridges), that you could use it for bottom fishing.

I've fooled around with them for 40 years, and haven't got it figured out yet.

The guys on the New York / Conn. board and the New Jersey board can help with info on where to go. (That "Jersey" board needs somebody to get it charged up.)

Good Luck, and Enjoy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your input, do you think I should maybe buy a casting reel for future trial/use? I was looking at inexpensive reels, and the Penn 209 looked pretty good, anyone wanna shoot out their opinions?

·
Registered
348 Posts
well, you asked...

when you buy a casting reel you definately get what you pay for. i have not used the penn 209 but i have looked at them and i don't think you would have good luck using it for casting lures. it should work out well for bottom fishing on the piers.

if you want a casting reel for casting lures go for something better suited to that use maybe an ABU 5500 or 6500 my local Kmart had the 5500's marked way down on clearance a few days ago.

cabelas has a reel called the megaroyal plus that you can buy in combo with one of their IM6 rods for $100, that's a great deal if the reel is as good as other $90 reels.

learning to cast on of these is not to tough if you know two things: first you have to adjust the spindle tension a little tighter than reccomended this will shorten your casts but will reduce backlashes until you develop some feel, second use a smooth sweeping cast and you will have better luck; if your cast starts out with a snap you will get one hell of a backlash if you cast smooth you will not and you will cast further also.

i will agree that they can be a pain to learn, but baitcasters are great reels. one tip for fixing backlashes: pull the line out of the back of the reel when trying to untangle a backlash, also turning the spool to bring a little line back in can help loosen up the snarl.

have fun, BTW i caught about 20 largemouth bass with my pinnalce baitcaster today!

·
Registered
194 Posts
FishNY,

If the muskie rod you bought is the one I'm thinking of ($20 b/4 shipping?), definately KEEP IT!! It's one of the best buys around. It's mainly used by us NY'ers for blackfishing from boats. You could even use it for live lining for bass later if you should get into that. I've heard of people using it for ocean fluking when you need more lead to hold bottom. Even if you don't, that rod is a gem for the money.

If you want a more in depth review of that rod and some ideas about a matching reel, go check out Noreast.com and do a search on "Lep Stick" and you'll get a rather detailed review.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks JerryB for the suggestions, and addict, YES that is the one, and actually thats where I initially found out about it, I guess I will keep it then =)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Jones Beach West End

Moved from the area years ago, but if you want to surf or jetty fish head for the Jones Beach West end parking lot 2 and head for the jetty. You can fish surf, jetty or inlet.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
fishNY if you ever want to come alittle north to do some fishing feel free to look me up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts