Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of wire and terminal tackle (hooks,swivels etc.) do you use on your rigs made some new ones already to kill time with some 93 lbs Malin not sure of hook size but I think they are a lil big for kings but we dont get much of them from the piers i fish anyway.So its mostly just Cobia there and sharks.

·
Registered
823 Posts
61# single strand calcutta leader
large barrel swivel
4x trebles
that about covers it

you can use slightly smaller trebles earlier in season

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I use 73# Malin coffee color wire with Eagle Claw LazerSharp hooks (4X, bronzed or black, and number 1 or 2 I think). I also use 20 lb number 4 barrel swivels and a black Sea Striker 36-inch "Cobia/Shark" wire leader with a snap on the end so I can change out bent rigs or switch to a bottom rig after dark.

Never use silver wire, swivels or hooks for kings because the flashing sun reflection scares kings easily.

My 2¢, hope it helps.

Evan

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Sevenstrand wire, don't know the pound test but A3 sleeves fit it,
4X strong #6 wire, no swivels for me, except the coastlock at the end of my mono. ( only sampo ball-bearing, about 125 pound, and have even seen it bend (just the wire part) when handlining 20 pound shark up pier)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah ha so some one else also uses braid! I used braid last year with crimped sleeves but didnt have anything hit my rig all season I still use it I think its 80 what I use. I use it more for makeing different kinds of rigs now although my fingers are bleedin from tyrin to twist the single strand:(

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Gotcha,
Go to a local tackle shop and buy an E-Z-Twist. No bloody fingers, just a clean haywire.

Bluerunner,
Never used multistrand wire for king rigs but I do use it for making 36'/48' leaders and leadered hooks. I also plan on adding 15-20' of wire braid leader to my Senator after this season because my family's going on a Florida vacation and I want to go after some sharks.

Evan

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i learned how to make rigs from the old guy angelo on jolly roger pier and thats what he used, so thats what i use. when i first fished off cherry grove i was the only one using sevenstrand, i like it better, i think my rigs are cleaner and i don't think i could make them the way i do with single strand.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Bluerunner,
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that seven-strand can't be used or that it is wrong. I love seven-strand for leaders but I've never used it for king rigs. Although now I might have to try one with braid and figure out which I like better.

Evan

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
didn't think you were, just figured that since you prolly learned on CG, you learned the way they did it, and i leraned the way they did it on Jolly Roger:)

·
Registered
285 Posts
This is how I was taught and right or wrong it works. 64# calcuta main leader, 54# for hooks. the 54 is easier to twist by hand. eagle claw 4x lasersharp hooks and 20lb barrel swivles. I always use a snap on the end just to make it easier to change rigs if it gets a kink. I was reading somewhere that the old timers use to soak their hooks in saltwater so they would start to rust and they would catch twice as many kings as the others. Of course you take a chance of having hooks break on the big ones.

kingfisherman23 brings up a really good point. Make sure you use coffee, bronze, or black colored wire, hooks, and swivles.

Tight lines,

Tim

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Yes that is true,a guy at Frisco introduced me to kingin,that is the way he taught me.. He used to use coffee colored treble,but for the top hook it was a single. It was a 3/0 eagle claw,he would soak it in saltwater and the hook would turn almost black before it rusted,it was cadium coated.. We put very little presure on kings(let them wear thierselves out),and could bring them to the pier with no problem that way. You just had to pray that with those small eagle claws a big cobe or tarpon didn't jump on there.. :D

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Bluerunner,
Yeah they all teach different. How are we ever supposed to learn anything?:D

About the colors...
If You don't want to rust the hooks then spray them with flat black paint. Before I got into kinging, I was watching the king men on a really good day. Everyone had caught a king but this one guy who was obviously new at it and was fishing with a rig that had all silver hooks. Finally one of the old hands told im to run up to the IGA and buy some black spray paint. The guy went and came back with the paint. This old man took the guy's rig and sprayed it all with the paint. They let the rig dry and slid it back out. About ten minutes late during the next run a king took the guy's bait and he had no more trouble for the rest of the weekend. He had to repaint once or twice but that was it.

Evan

·
Registered
558 Posts
I use

I've always used #4, 4X strong Eagle Claw L774 ( I think that is the correct number) hooks. I have always used or started with a single 3/0-4/0 live bait hook (gorrilla). The single hook I've used has either been a Eagle Claw or Gamakatsu.

I've tried the spray painted flat black thing.....don't know if it helped or nor for during the whole time I was fishing the black hardware NObody ever hooked up. I don't at all think it would hurt though.

Leader wire ....most of the time I use and probalby will from now on is (can't remember the exact #) but I think it is #68. I have went down and used as little as #43 for when the water was very clear and I had a king swim up and stop looking right at my bait and turn suddenly away. BUT wouldn't you know it here comes a school of something big and busting big spanish out of the water from as far as the eye can see going north. And I have the little #43 on (course an #150 would not matter either) it's a school of blacktips 6-10 feet long. There was just three of us kinging and all of us got hit in 30 seconds or less. The other guys got broken off real quick and mine broke away from the school and off she went. After 20 minutes the shark shoots the pier and on the third time trying to go under the pier I didn't get directly in line with it and I couldn't hold her...either the wire broke or the wire was bitten into. A blacktip 6-8ft. We tried to gaff it but the gaff justed bounced off the side of it.

I use a heavy barrell swivel 90# test.

??? Some of you posted that you used a 20# swivel...looks like to me that using a swivel rated less than the wire....then that would not be an advantage. Just my thinking though.

RT

·
Registered
369 Posts
Where is the main hook? been a long time but we put a black mustad circle hook in the back like DD said, an eagle claw trebles.. one in the skin of his back, the other hanging below his belly as a "stinger"...
My best on this rig was a 68lb. cobia.

·
Registered
558 Posts
My main hook (single) is the first one nearest to the swivel. I put the main hook into the baitfishes back just on top behind the head.

RT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts