Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
I don't think I'm going to be the high man on the totem pole for overall Flounder tagging. The VMRC folks told me that Mr. Rigo at Buckroe Pier (prior to the storm) had over 1000 tagged in 2003.

By the end of the year, I'd tagged 940 Flounder. I didn't have the big October I needed to get to 1000 this year.

I just hope that a lot of them return this year and aren't scooped up at sea over the winter by the trawlers. It would be nice to get more 1-year old data on fish returning to the Bay, or elsewhere, that comes in right now.

LOOKING TO GET THE 1ST RELEASE FLOUNDER CITATION

Jake Ace

·
Registered
515 Posts
I had a solid core group of guys throwing fish my way too, that I've named / thanked in previous messages. Plus, I'm kind of an extroverted-introvert and I don't mind asking anyone for an undersized flounder to tag either.

I maybe need to retool my job so I can fish 5 hours a day 7-days a week, instead of just 4 hours a day ... then I'd get to that 1000 mark. HA.

LOOKING FOR THE 1ST RELEASE CITATION FLOUNDER

SDV

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Sorry to hear it was a numbers game.If those guys @ the VMRC knew you like we @ P&S do......You are still the man ...hope to see ya out in the water this year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Jake,
Flounder is one fish I haven't really had much success with yet.
I will be fishing the surf at Sandbridge starting this spring, hopefully a lot.
What type of rigs/bait/lures do you use to have that kind of success? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
Now don't go and act like a woman who won't share her recipes.
Help a brother out here.
Thanks
VTSurfman (snowbound in No.Va.)

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
VTMan-No real secrets.The secret is catchin the bigguns(legal size 17 1/2 inches).

I have never caught or targeted flounder in the SB surf,but the flatties that I have caught have been along the OceanView jetties and the Spit.

My favorite place to catchem is @ the western part of Chix beach.

2 of my favorite methods is on lite tackle.Tossing and then slowly draggin 1/2 oz grub tails or storms usually produces,and slipping on a small slip shot on a snelled long shank size 1 hook with freshly netted peanut bunker does the ticket also.Squid can be used insted,but with casting such lite tackle,the squid strip does not cast very far(the drag of the strip)

These 2 methods is what I use on a 8 1/2 foot Ley Largo trout rod with a Shimano 3000fha spinning reel.Alot of folks swear by them Zooms and bass Assasins.Other folks also use a Carolina rig with heavier barrel weight and apprpiate bait(squid and blue fish strip cocktail).

Obtw the tsunami has a new lead in-bedded plastic out,I believe they are 1/2 to 3/4 oz's......I had some good luck with them also....

·
Registered
515 Posts
I throw, and lose, a lot of jigs. This year I pretty much exclusively used Saltwater Assasins and those Storm Wildeyes.

The weight of the jig head depends on the water depth and current, and the worm body color (in my book) depends on the water clarity, when I'm picking a color.

For me the only jighead color for flounder is Chartreuse.

For the grubs, Chartreuse Sparkle Twistertails, and the Saltwater Assassin color "Opening Night" worked well this year in clear water, while Saltwater Assassin Colors "Limetreuse", "Electric Chicken" and "Space Guppy" worked well in muddier water.

I always throw into the current and let the lure come back to me just skipping along the bottom. Usually use a small piece of cut fish, cut squid or shrimp on the hook as a teaser.

Certain times of the year, I'll use cut strips of Bluefish or Croaker or Spot, whatever's available and bounce them along the bottom with a 1/2 barrel-weight and a 1/0 circle hook.

And on a rare occasion when I can net bait, I'll use menhaden or mullet ... what ever's available. And I'll throw them on that same strip bait rig.

I fished with mudminnows on purpose about 3x last year, I just don't have the patience to use them; but most of the good guys that let me tag their fish, use mudminnows exclusively and catch many, many fish.

LOOKING FOR THE 1ST RELEASE CITATION FLOUNDER

Jake Ace

1 - 10 of 10 Posts