Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys....... Fishing Tournament: Benefit For Brandon in Central Florida

Lets do something good for a local family!!! lets raise bookoo bucks, and make a great chritmas for this little guy
On Saturday, December 6th 2003 there will be a benefit fishing tournament to help Brandon Thornton and his family. Brandon is a 6 year old boy who lives in Port St. John, and was stricken with cancer. We are trying to raise money to help pay for immediate needs, and medical expenses that their insurance does not cover. So please join us for this event.

This will be a multi-species tournament for all legal game fish with total weight determining the winner. Trash fish will not be weighed in. All fish must meet the Florida State Laws requirements, for both size and quantity. Any contestants caught with either illegal fish, or breaking any laws while obtaining fish will be disqualified, and will not receive entry fees. Fishing can be done from boat, shore, docks, bridges, or wading. Contestants may start fishing at 6:00 am and may fish any where you want. There will be no check out in order to fish the tournament. Lines must be out of water by 3:00pm, and contestants must be at Skeeter Lagoons Bait and Tackle by 5:00 pm for weigh in. The contest ends promptly at 5 o’clock; persons arriving after this time will not be considered for prizes. This will be a catch and release tournament, but anglers may keep their catches according to Florida Law.
This will be for any anglers, of any age for both inshore and off shore fish. The cost is $25.00 per adult angler, and $10.00 for children under 15 years of age. The money generated in the adult division will be divided so that 75% will go directly to the Brandon Thornton Cancer Fund, at Kennedy Space Center Federal Credit Union, with the remaining 25% being divided between the 1st and 2nd place finishers in both in, and offshore. In the children’s division will be the same, with the exception of a cash payout. Children will receive gift cards and other merchandise. Any donations beyond the $25.00 will be given 100% to the family. Pay outs are as follows;
1st place inshore- 7.5%
1st place offshore- 7.5%
2nd place inshore- 5%
2nd place offshore- 5%
3rd place winners in both categories will be awarded runner up prizes.
At the weigh-in there will be free hamburgers and hot dogs provided to all contestants. A live tank will be at Skeeter Lagoons for those that wish to release their fish, and for those who wish to keep their fish, free fish cleaning will be provided.
After the weigh-in and awards, there will be a raffle with two different prices per ticket. $2.00 tickets for a chance to win misc. tackle and fishing equipment, and gift certificates. A $25.00 ticket for a chance to win an offshore, or a few inshore charters. More and more items are being donated almost daily to add to the raffle prizes.
Entry fees can be paid up until 9:00 am the morning of the tournament. They can be dropped of or mailed to:
Skeeter Lagoons Bait and Tackle
30910 S. Washington Av Suite 106
Titusville Fl. 32780
(321) 383-2001
Please, bring your family, and help support a local family in a time of need. Be prepared for a good day.
There will be a Captains Meeting Friday Dec. 5. this is not mandatory, but requested. There may be a free seminar
Given by a reputable Captain from the area. Details will be posted on local Fishing forums, or call Skeeter Lagoons. Allowable Species. Inshore: Red Drum, Black Drum, Sheepshead, Jacks, Snook (must have Snook stamp to possess) Mangrove Snapper.
Offshore: Blue Fish, Grouper, Kings, Cobia, Dolphin, Snapper, Pompano, Wahoo, Jacks.
All fish must be caught with hook, and Line.
All Florida laws are to be followed.
NO EXCEPTIONS.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Hope there is a great turn out for this Youngster. And God bless us all .
Good job Redsgurl

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope there is too Kozlow. This was posted on another forum, and knowing how the P.&S. family is, I wanted to let the Florida anglers know about it as well. I plan on being there.
Suz

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Its also on the Events Calander . Did not think you would mind Redsgurl. I saw it Posted on the other Board.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's great Kozlow ! Thanks..... Just got home from Skeeters; they are hard at work, and there will be some minute changes; nothing drastic, basically just making the rules a little clearer, changing the kids prices, stuff like that. I will post the revised copy tomorrow. I would like to thank Pier and Surf for their help in allowing us to post this. If you have ANY ideas at all, don't hesitate to throw them out there. We are going to approach Walmart, K-mart, Publix, Winn Dixie, Longhorns, etc... Also gonna try to hit up the local radio stations for some air time. Bill Sargent and Don Wilson are going to mention it in their articles. I went down and registered today, and dropped off some money that I collected. Sure would be cool to see some of the local P&S anglers.:) If ya'all got to go to the water { wasn't it beautiful?? }, I'm sure ya had a great time. And thanks Hat..... ;)
Suz

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All righty...... The newest and greatest post has been put in place. It is the first one on this thread. Things are coming together, but we still have a lot of things to get accomplished by the 6th. There are numerous off shore and inshore charters that are being offered for auction by Central Florida's finest Captains and Guides: 1/2 dayers, full days, and even a 2 dayer! There will be mounts, equipment, tackle, miscellaneous gift certificates, a seminar by Capt. Bryan Friday night before the captain's meeting @ Skeeter Lagoons. Ladies, there are a couple of very special things that will be available in the " NOT fishing related" auction category too. And lot's more that I haven't heard about, I'm sure. So many anglers are kicking in to make this a sucess, and we are just beginning.To keep up with the latest, check here. http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=126122
Curtis took Brandon out to the river today for a lil bit of fishing.. His mom said he would be good for about an hour, and after that, he justs gets whipped; the chemo is really workin on him. I was @ Skeeters when Curtis called to say Brandon wasn't ready to come in yet. they had been out for almost two hours, and Brandon was wanting to say longer ;) Healthy children are something we all take for granted. This is one instance where we need to realize how blessed we really are, and try to lend a hand to one that is having a hard time. Sure do hope to see you there. Suz

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
So, since I am too far north, how well okay where can I send a little $$$ to help out the family?

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you Shaggy; excellent point, and I'm sorry I overlooked that! If you are so inclined, please send donations to the address listed below.

the address for the fund(not tournament entries) is
kscfcu
300 south plumosa st
merrit island fl. 32952

make check payable to The Brandon Thornton Cancer fund,

KSCFCU Stands for Kennedy Space Center Federal Credit Union.

Anything and everything is appreciated more than you know. The family silently reads these posts, as well as the other threads, and is nothing short of awe-struck and overwhelmed at the responses. They had no idea the anglers of Central Florida were such great people. If there are any more questions, or anything I've overlooked, please don't hesitate to bring it to my attention. I will go update the other thread as well. And Shaggy, I do believe you are the first out of stater ! Well done !;) To see how all of this started, go to this link.
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=126122

To see the latest { they had to start a new thread}, go here.
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=130962&page=1

Thanks everyone... Keep the prayers and good thoughts coming.
Suz

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Hey redsgurl, shoulda checked in before but yall are way down at th bottom of th page.;)

Anywhoo, got th address an am gonna send a little something for th little guy. Good work.

·
Registered
389 Posts
OK, I just checked my work schedule for December and the 6th is clear for me.

Since in order for me to be competitive, I would have to use explosives, I will gladly donate my registration fee to a worthy cause, do a little Zen fishing and then meet up at Skeeters for the festivities afterwards.

If I can figure out a way to hook up the blender to the truck battery, Margaritas will be served on the tailgate...

Mark

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Guess I am just lucky the "Big Guy" gave me two healthy daughters (knock on wood), and hopefully they stay healthy. The children are this countries future, so we adults must do what we can for all of them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know it Shaggy........ I know exactly what youre talkin about... That's what compelled me to help with this benefit. Youre an angel.... {{{ Thanks so much }}}
Suz

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Mark,
Bring that blender and all the fixins ! I'll bring an extension cord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
Suz;)

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Well, it seems I have willingly or not issued a challenge to these boards, and since there are no losers in this one, decided to see (excluding you folks from Florida) who might be able to raise the most, the winner any way we can look at it is Brandon, so, it looks like the Maryland/Delaware board is in for $80 as of now.

GBAK (oh heck, God Bless And Keep), Brandon and the rest of the Thortons, I have two of my own (well, guess they are more my wifes, but that is a fine line), but I don't know what I would do if it was me. Keep the faith, brother :cool:

My prayers are with you all in these times, and with any luck (maybe lots of prayers), all's well that ends well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
o.k. The best and last. Final ond foremost LAST FINAL SET !!!!!!!!!!!!

OK - here is the newest information on the tournament.
We revised the rules a little this morning and adjusted the prices of the raffle tickets so make sure you read this.

This will be a multi-species tournament with total weight determining the winner. Trash fish will not be weighed in. All fish must meet the Florida State Laws requirements for size. Any contestants caught with either illegal fish, or breaking any laws while obtaining fish will be disqualified, and will not receive entry fees. Fishing can be done from boat, shore, docks, bridges, or wading. Contestants may start fishing at 6:00 am and may fish any where you want. There will be no check out in order to fish the tournament. Lines must be out of water by 3:00pm, and contestants must be at Skeeter Lagoons Bait and Tackle by 5:00 pm for weigh in. The contest ends promptly at 5 o’clock; persons arriving after this time will not be considered for prizes. This will be a catch and release tournament, but anglers may keep their catches according to Florida Law.
This will be for any anglers, of any age for both inshore and off shore fish. The cost is $25.00 per adult angler and $10 for children 15 years old and younger.. The money generated will be divided so that 75% will go directly to the Brandon Thornton Cancer Fund, at Kennedy Space Center Federal Credit Union, with the remaining 25% being divided between the 1st and 2nd place finishers in both in, and offshore. Any donations beyond the $25.00 will be given 100% to the family. Pay outs are as follows;
1st place inshore- 7.5% and 1st place offshore- 7.5%
2nd place inshore- 5% and 2nd place offshore- 5%
3rd place winners in both categories will be awarded runner up prizes.
At the weigh-in there will be free hamburgers and hot dogs provided to all contestants. A live tank will be at Skeeter Lagoons for those that wish to release their fish.

Allowable Species Inshore – Red Drum and Snook (1 each) (snook stamp required where applicable)
Allowable Species Offshore – Kingfish, Cobia, Dolphin, Wahoo (1 each)

All fish must be caught with hook and line. All Florida Laws must be followed. NO EXCEPTIONS!

After the weigh-in and awards, there will be a raffle with two different prices per ticket. $2.00 tickets for a chance to win misc. tackle and fishing equipment, and gift certificates. A $5.00 ticket for a chance to win an offshore, or a few inshore charters. More and more items are being donated almost daily to add to the raffle prizes.
Entry fees can be paid up until 9:00 am the morning of the tournament. They can be dropped of or mailed to:

At this time make checks payable to - The Brandon Thornton Cancer Fund
Skeeter Lagoons Bait and Tackle
3910 S. Washington Av Suite 106
Titusville Fl. 32780
(321) 383-2001
Please, bring your family, and help support a local family in a time of need. Be prepared for a good day

Want to buy some raffle tickets????? $5 for a chance at an offshore or inshore charter.!!!!! $2 for tackle, hotel stays ( most are 2 day/3nighters here in the Titusville area } etc.......... Tell you guys what. I know the majority of you live south; Keeping in mind that you MUST be present to win on the 6th in Skeeters parking lot, I will do this.... You get in touch with me here. I will arrange to bring you the number of tickets you desire, as long as its at least $40 worth. Between you and your buddies, this shouldnt be too hard. I will do this trip twice a week from now until the 6th. One south, and one north. That will save you a trip during our busy work weeks, and then you only have to drive up here for the tournament, raffle drawing...... Just plan on being @ Skeeters on the 6th. Please tell everyone you know that fishes. I will go as far south as .......... ummmmmmm Sebastion to deliver. As far North as ummmmmmm......... Haulover. Thats a tick over an hour either way for me. This is a great opportunity to help this precious child, and garner the chance to catch some fish for a great price. Its a great deal all the way around. Remember, these charters are local........... Keep the prayers and good thoughts coming......... Brandon appreciates and needs every bit of it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shaggy, I can't believe you did that !!!!! I dont know what to say. :) I never dreamed that the other forums would care to get involved......... I've been so caught up in this, it just honestly never occured to me. You are a good man darlin......... Thank you so much, and keep up the great work !!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Suz

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have my first child on the way in February. My $40 is in the mail to kscfcu from Alexandria, VA, with hopes that it does something for this family.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts