Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How you doing. I read your post about the tank. You said to fish it on the outgoing tide. What is a good time to fish for croakers on this Saturday. Help me please. Also what kind of set up do I need. I have a 7 foot pole. Are number 2 hooks ok??????

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
ilovefish...The tides for the Choptank River at Campbridge for this saturday (6/7) are:
Low 3:55 AM
High 9:58 AM
Low 5:03 PM
High 10:52 PM
Based on these times and they may vary a little I'd like to have my line in the water from noon until 3 PM. During this period the tide should be ebbing (flowing out) and seems to be the best time for croakers. # 2/0 hooks are fine and if you can please use circle hooks. You'll probably catch some juvenile stripers so you want to release them unharmed. It also makes it easier to remove the hook from the croakers. A standard hi/lo rig is fine but keep you snells (leader to the hook) at about 6" and only use enough weight to hold bottom. 3 oz. should be plenty. Just remember you don't have to set the hook. Just pull back with a firm and steady motion and start reeling. Don't let any slack develope in your line. Quite often when you hook a croaker he will swim directly toward you and it's only natural to think nothing is on the line. Keep reeling, he's probably still there. This happens a lot with the larger croakers. Hope this helps. Good luck and post your results.

Catman.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts