Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just read a thread on the "other" fishing board that caters to the boating type about another confrontation at the entrance to the new boat ramp facility at Crab Creek in Lynnhaven inlet. Same old crap, a boater comes in and snags a shore-fishermans line in the prop, guy follows the boat to the ramp, lot of wasted energy on discussing who's right and wrong with the same results --- nothing!! Fortunately this was all that happened. I fish both the beach and every now and then from a boat in Lynnhaven so I'm really not taking sides here, but it would be a real shame if that part of the beach is closed to all fishing because of a few knukleheads. We came out of Crab creek the same day (wed.6/11) about 1600 and went back in at 2100 and both times there was a good crowd on the point right where the creek channel dumps into the inlet. There really is no options about how you come out of there -- it is a narrow channel!! The law is very clear about this and states that the boats have the right of way and it's the responsibility of the shorebound guys to move there stuff and let the boats by. We all need to remember this and try to educate our fellow fisher-folks about the same. The city has put way too much into this new facility and if there has to be a choice made between the boats or beach guys I'm quite sure which way it'll go.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well stated. Either we police ourselves or the other police will.It's too good a fishing spot to lose!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I read that post also jay b. I’m beginning to think the sand fleas out there have NO idea how the channel is set out. The Crab Creek channel is so close to the shoreline it makes no sense to even fish that area unless you’re using artificials. It’s hard to imagine folks are so stubborn.

I’ve been out there this year and have noticed the boating folks are taking EXTRA precaution to swing around and cut the tip of that sandbar, just to give us more room. It’s obvious the word has spread throughout the boaters in that area of the problems last year. They already took it on the chin when the City declared the inside a “turning basin”, a non-fishing area. The cops are running them out if they are drifting or anchored up, I’ve seen it.

I agree with you guys, the foolishness must stop. Speak up if you see trouble brewing before the City cuts us off.

FISH-ON:cool:

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
It's a shame but some people are jerks no matter what. We're banned from fishing the transit channel, they're banned from creeping up on the shorebound guys and anchoring in the turning basin or tying off. Fair's fair--both sides can respect the rules or face a ticket. I hope they write every violator up.

Frankly I've sort of given up on Lynnhaven. Last time I was there it was too crowded and full of bozos who couldn't cast straight and weren't using enough weight. I'll stick to Chick's.

I wish they'd never put that ramp/parking lot in.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definately agree with the crowded full of BOZOS part, but I just can't give up on that spot as I've caught way too many nice fish there over the years. I really agree the boat ramp/parking lot addition didn't do squat for the shorebound fishermen. I didn't mind the old gravel parking lot. I hate to admit it but I also remember when the Crab Shack was still there, bought many a bushel from them, it was kinda nice too. I don't know about the rest of you'all but my wallet can't handle the purhase of a boat so I an keep fishing this area so let's all work together to try and keep this from becoming a problem before it's too late!!

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Sad

Very sad I have seen this place and it looks very good but have never fished it and maybe never will if this doesn't get policed up. I remember last year had over 60 posts and was ugly. We can't let that happen this year or we know the consequences.:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts